TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little story about my latest LCA job.

Was hearing the tell-tale sound of a LCA going bad, occasional slight thump noise coming from the front right when turning the wheel to the left. When I replaced both original LCAs five years ago, the replacement right LCA had a grease fitting on the ball joint, left side did not. Yup, I greased it every other oil change or tire rotation, two to three times a year, but now the right one needs to be replaced again.

LCA job this time the shock bolt came out a lot easier. When installing the new LCA, job was going good until I couldn't get the ball joint nut to tighten, ball joint would turn with the nut. Put pressure on it from underneath with my bottle jack but that didn't help. Neither did pressure on the side. Gave up to try it again the next day.

Next day I considered that the PB Blaster I had used removing the old LCA maybe was causing some slippage. So I removed the new LCA, cleaned up the spindle, reinstalled the new LCA and this time with the bottle jack, was able to torque down the ball joint nut.

So on those LCA jobs, keep plugging away, it'll get done.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
What brand was the LCA that went bad in only five years?

IMO, any good replacement LCA or UCA should essentially be a permanent fix, or at least good for 100k miles.

Al

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it at Advance, believe it was sold as Moog. Looks like faded receipt from March 2011 says K80055, doesn't indicate if R-series or C-series. I didn't look at it that closely when I removed it, don't know if it said TRW like the CK80055 that I just installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts