TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after realizing that i can drive stick pretty well and that its really fun,im leaning towards trying to adapt a t45 to my bird.Ive searched through the threads about what parts would be needed and what kind of car you could get them from and all that,and im fairly certain i have enough mechanical knowladge and tools to pull this off. My question is,are there any more detailed instructions on how to fab up the extension box? ive seen the drawings of it but i would really like a little insight on how exactly it is made and an actual picture of just the extension itself.I know theres a few people here running t-45's so maybe one of you guys could post up any extra info or anything that helped you guys to do it.thanks

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
That's my intention but since I haven't started yet I can't tell you how it will work out

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Personally i would just cut the floor and make a shifter extension. The extension box is fine but requires alot more effort then its worth.

Will
I disagree. The extension box requires only a fraction of the effort required to install the pedal. It certainly adds a little expense if you can't make it yourself, but the shifter looks like it belongs, instead of looking like an added-on piece. And, with the box, you don't have to modify the tunnel at all.

Justin, search my user name in the 4.6L Engine section, and you'll find the thread about my swap along with some pics. PM me if you have specific questions, or if you want a copy of the drawings I gave to the machinist to make the extension box.

·
Super Moderator
8,293 Posts
I did my swap without the extension box. I just couldn't justify the extra $400 and creating a possibility for leaks when I could modify the shifter handle for $15 and have it perform just as well. Also what are you planning on doing about the hydraulic system? There are several options for this including the internal slave setup, a pull-type slave (which I believe mechman has on his car) and the way I did it which is a push-type slave out of a 94/95 chevy S10, which is an off the shelf part that is readily available and uses the same type of fitting as the SC master cylinder which makes it easier to make a hydraulic line. There are 2 disadvantages to my setup. One is that you need to make/have made a bracket to bolt the slave to the side of the trans, and the other is that it puts the slave very close to the stock catalytic converter, so you either need to run catless, or get some smaller aftermarket cats and have some custom downtubes bent up. I think the exhaust work cost me $180 including both cats, so that wasn't too bad. If you have any questions as you go, feel free to PM me and I will answer them as best I can.

Mike

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
oh no, not another one:eek: just kidding man. yeah, mine has the shifter box, and no leaks, at least not from the box. for some reason, my car likes to spit fluid out the vent. anyway, I think the box is the most proper way to go, If you have the means. It just seems to me that the extension would put too much stress on the synchros.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had planned on getting whatever parts off an sc like the pedal assembly and the hydraulic parts,what type of slave does an sc have? i heard about the s10 part and if its readily available then ill go that route.and madmikey,how did you go about modifying the ****er handle or do you have any pictures? and if you guys dont mine me asking what did it cost you to to the swap?

tobey,you'll have a pm in a minute

·
Super Moderator
8,293 Posts
I don't have any pics of it unfortunately. What I did is if you look at the stock mustang shifter handle, it comes up a bit, then goes back at an angle, the curves up again. I cut it in the area where it is angled back, then extended that, then I cut off the part where it curves back up again and cut new threads into the end of it and put a T-handle on the end. The end result is that the shifter isn't much longer than the stock one (if its longer at all) so the throws are the same, but the angle it comes out from under the dash pretty much matches the angled part of the center console towards the front. I needed to cut out a little bit of the floor in front of where the original shifter went, and I needed to remove the VMM and cut a little section out of the console top and remove one brace that goes across the bottom of the dash right where it meets the center console. I had planned to use some fiberglass to fill in where the original shifter came out of the console top, but never got around to it, and I eventually managed to grenade the T45 that I had put in there, so right now the car is sitting in my garage with no trans. Eventually I'll probably get another trans for it, but for now I have my 89 XR7 to drive every day and I am building a 393 for my 91, so the 94 can wait.

As far as cost, I did my entire swap for $1500 including $325 for a tune to shut off the trans controls and about $200 in exhaust work to get new downtubes bent with some high flow cats in them. I did manage to get my bracket for the slave cylinder made up for free for me, but other than that, everything I did could be easily reproduced for the same cost if you shop around.

Mike

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Im collecting parts to do mine as well. I have everything but a clutch and slave cylinder now. Ive driven Tobeys setup and it feels great, this is how i will be doing mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.