TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post some pictures of what I have so far.

I made my own perches and I sandblasted the LCAs. I put a clear coat on both since I couldn't come up with a better idea of how to make them pretty.

Once I get the fancy bushings and get them installed I'll add to this thread.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
Just wanted to post some pictures of what I have so far.

I made my own perches and I sandblasted the LCAs. I put a clear coat on both since I couldn't come up with a better idea of how to make them pretty.

Once I get the fancy bushings and get them installed I'll add to this thread.
I put a ~45 degree bevel on the 'pucks', ~1/2" wide across the flat; going wider is lighter.
You only really have to locate the bottom of the coil, and the isolator. I put in poly isolators.

Now that I have all the movement out of the rear, I can feel the front moving around, lol.

I think I have the last set of frame side strut rod bushings in America; at least, that came with ferrules. :)

You'll love it, especially with Jay's bushings. :grin2:

After a few months, I like them a lot more. :grin2:

I took a road that made everything in the car bounce when I first did the install, and it is really nice now. :)

I have konis on this car, so it's nice and stiff, not rigid.
If that makes sense. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a ~45 degree bevel on the 'pucks', ~1/2" wide across the flat; going wider is lighter.
You only really have to locate the bottom of the coil, and the isolator. I put in poly isolators.

Now that I have all the movement out of the rear, I can feel the front moving around, lol.

I think I have the last set of frame side strut rod bushings in America; at least, that came with ferrules. :)

You'll love it, especially with Jay's bushings. :grin2:

After a few months, I like them a lot more. :grin2:

I took a road that made everything in the car bounce when I first did the install, and it is really nice now. :)

I have konis on this car, so it's nice and stiff, not rigid.
If that makes sense. :)
I'll have Bilsteins on the front and rear when I'm done. I'm putting a 1 1/4" sway bar on the front and rear as well so I imagine it will be pretty stiff. I already have a roll bar in the car that attaches to the floor pan behind the seats and in the trunk. I'm hoping that this all comes together nicely for road racing and auto-crossing.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
I'll have Bilsteins on the front and rear when I'm done. I'm putting a 1 1/4" sway bar on the front and rear as well so I imagine it will be pretty stiff. I already have a roll bar in the car that attaches to the floor pan behind the seats and in the trunk. I'm hoping that this all comes together nicely for road racing and auto-crossing.
I saw your input on the shocks, and when I wear out what I have, I'll be trying it out, lol.

I still have two sets of sport shocks, one with springs. TCCoA rox!

You need to bribe RaceCougar into making some more of the frame bracing him and JL were making.

I bought a set, and it is the stuff for stiffness. :grin2:

Actually, I think I bought two, and the STBs, lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw your input on the shocks, and when I wear out what I have, I'll be trying it out, lol.

I still have two sets of sport shocks, one with springs. TCCoA rox!

You need to bribe RaceCougar into making some more of the frame bracing him and JL were making.

Actually, I think I bought two, and the STBs, lol.
Actually, I made a set of braces that connect from the front LCA to the front of the K member. I haven't take pics though. I plan to fab up the ones that connect from the LCA to the frame rails when I put the K member back on the car. I made a shock tower brace from 1.5" diameter 3/16" wall tubing. I have a brace that dirtydog made for the space between the rear LCAs. I'm still debating the other type of JL bracing because of the roll bar. I may not actually need it but since I have the tools and materials I'll see what I see later.

I also have Jay's rear subframe bushings to put on as well. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
I have a set of these:

http://members.tccoa.com/jl1997bird/nofreepics/MN12chassisbracingkit.jpg

I also have a rear stb and a slightly bent Front stb that's off the car right now.

racecougar made some really nice rear stb's, but with a cage and the bracing you have, you should be pretty stiff.

You'll hate the poly bushings for a week or so, so be prepared.
Washboard roads will make it bounce until it settles in. :)

Oh, and remember that the upper inner control arm bushing is still sensitive to being tightened with the wheels off the ground, and if you do it, it will wiggle sideways in turns. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a set of these:

http://members.tccoa.com/jl1997bird/nofreepics/MN12chassisbracingkit.jpg

I also have a rear stb and a slightly bent Front stb that's off the car right now.

racecougar made some really nice rear stb's, but with a cage and the bracing you have, you should be pretty stiff.

You'll hate the poly bushings for a week or so, so be prepared.
Washboard roads will make it bounce until it settles in. :)

Oh, and remember that the upper inner control arm bushing is still sensitive to being tightened with the wheels off the ground, and if you do it, it will wiggle sideways in turns. :)
I have no plans to touch the rear lca inner upper bolts in the near term.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts

Hey, I accept bribes too!!

>:)

·
Super Moderator
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A couple of thoughts.

I don't plan on doing many things that I end up having to do. Oxymoron or not, my ability/right to be a moron is reserved. :laugh:

I do have some fabrication skills. I've already made the braces from the front to rear of the K member. I'll make the ones from the rear K/LCA to the frame rails once I get the K member back on the car.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Oscar,

How about a rear torsional load brace? :)

I can't use the one I bought from Johnny anymore since I added the mandrel exhaust system.

Joe
What flavor would you like it in? So I can put it on my "to-do" list, lol.

A couple of thoughts.

I don't plan on doing many things that I end up having to do.
true story: me either. Weird how I ended up with my "machine shop" that is still growing.:)

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
Hey, I accept bribes too!!

>:)
You're shipping materials from all the way up here? I'm guessing it's something out of the ordinary. Shapiro's is good about having oddball stuff, and is a pretty cool supply house to visit, if you're ever up this way.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
You're shipping materials from all the way up here? I'm guessing it's something out of the ordinary. Shapiro's is good about having oddball stuff, and is a pretty cool supply house to visit, if you're ever up this way.
Nope, just 4130 Chromoly. I called up what seems to be every place in Texas, and Shapiro even with shipping, but no tax, was cheaper than everybody I found that was willing to ship to me. Westbrook Metals in San Antonio matched the pricing, BUT I'd have to go pick it up, so that's another $70 in gas money and a wasted afternoon.

Nobody local even knows what 4130 Chromoly is. They just mostly stock pressure pipe, which does me no good because it goes by I.D. and Schedule, and that crap is no bueno for my tubing bender dies, which go by O.D.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts