TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recent car .. well, expericnce.

To make a long story short: My head haskets blew, for the second time. The first time it was at ~95,000 miles. Not too bad for the original gaskets with the history of the 3.8L N/A. This time it was at 116K.

I can't afford to keep sinking $$ into my car. I was on the way from Pittsburgh to Jersey - limped it to my desination for the last 5 miles. So Nnow I was stuck, luckily at a friends house - with a dead car that I didn't want to repair,. Luckily my Dad rented a towing thing from U-Haul - and he drove it back home. Luckily I'm on my winter break from ocllege still.

I ened up buying a new 2003 Accord Coupe - laugh if you must, but 240 HP from a 3.0L V6, and what I think is a really sleek car was enough for me. Plus the reliability! Yah - I'm going to miss RWD - but, with 100 more horses over the 3.8L - even spining up front will do.

I've spent the last week taking off all the parts and add-ons I've put on oer the years. Clear Corners, K&N filter (cleaned and re-oiled) Rims and tires, etc.

Kinda saddens me though. I'm thrown a lot of money into that car over the years - but, I guess it was it's time. $500-600 to repair the head gaskets on a car that's only worth $2500 to a private party, if I'm lucky isn't worth it anymore.

But - I guess my loss is everyone's gain on this forum. :) Because I'm selling off all those performance parts - and then some - even some custom ones I've fabricated myself. I'm working on a webpage to put images and 'firm' prices for each item, including shipping. As parts sell, I'll remove them from the webpage. Easy enough - so keep an eye out for that page within the new two weeks or so.

I'll still be watching the forums on here thoguh - though my car will be in the heap soon enough.

BTW - if you need a part from a 3.8L 1992 Cougar - even stock, let me know. I gotta keep the car in RUNNING condition thoguh (ok - I mean, I can't jsut rip out huge parts - ned to keep most stuff there, ya know - cause the car, what's left of it, is going to be donated for a tax break.) e-mail me at [email protected] with requests - and I'll let you know if I'm willing to remove that part to sell it to ya.

Thanks again - and sorry for the huge post!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Nothing tech about that post, so I moved it to Misc.

Sorry to hear about it, but they likely blew because it wasn't done right.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Wow, my last 91 3.8 ran to almost 200K without blowing the headgaskets and my old mans ran to about 180K until they finally popped. Sorry to hear about your loss man, good luck with the Accord bro!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
yea.. well.. her goes my story of probably the worst week in my life....

it all starts on saturday night when i'm doing my delivery job, i thought i heard something from the engine in the upper rpms, but wasnt sure. i was thinking it was valve chatter and decided to check my oil, not even a quart low.. so i put in that missing quart. well, the sound doesnt go away, in fact it gets worse. by the end of the day sunday, i resolve that i have to get rid of the car. but wait! i have 7 months of hundreds and hundreds of hours and sleepless nights and just over $3000 into this car. i was expecting the motor to go in about a year or so.. but nope, so i never got to get my car painted. i had an sc interior, sc bumpers, 96/97 xenon sideskirts, $700 (shoulda been $1200) stereo system, and much more. the car was running absolutely awesome for the past few weeks. but right now i dont have the time or the resources available to throw in a new motor, and im not going to put in another 3.8, i was going to put in a NOT STOCK 5.0 when i woulda swapped over. so, i;m going to strip off every last part i put on that car. and junk the thing. right nwo im looking for a 91 - 93 SC or 5.0. i actualyl have an 89 sc picked out with 30k and garaged for 5200, but i doubt thats gonna happen. however, my week gets worse. monday nght i find out my grandpa's liver failed. tuesday i find out that the doctors sent him home because they cannot do anything else for him, and they only gave a him a few days to live. i have this sinking feeling that he is going to die on saturday... my birthday... the car doesnt even compare to this. but i guess thats life..

anyways, i'm staying mn12... so dont worry about that. -greg

·
Registered
658 Posts
Greg,
Good luck with everything.
You are in our prayers.

danman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts