TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read most of the forums, back to what 2004 i think?? and the answer/wisdom i am seeking i cannot find. My next mod i am planning is going to be the complete PI head/cam, and intake swap on my bird. i have a 3 page (so far) build over in the newbie section. i only mention this to show just how much work i am putting into my bird since i got her. my questions are simply this.

1), how much will it raise my compression (stock VS after swap)
2) what kind of performace gain can i expect (real world figures/guestimates) LOL, from the swap.

my 97 with auto tranny, and it has no smoke/knocks/rattles/ anything. it really was an all white bird owned by the perverbial old couple. I am planning on starting right away collecting the neccessary parts, i just want to know what i can expect from my hard work, and dollars, wich are few, and hard for me to come by.
Thanks so much.

Rick (NetKeym), and Jamie (CobraRThunderbird) have been great for information/suggestions, but this is a whole "nother" question. Thanks so much in advance.

Hank

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
From my past experience , Not sure if I am right if not others will chime in .

1. CPR 10.5.1 after heads.

2. 30 to 40 HP

Thks B :)

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
Static compression will go from about 9.4 to 10.4. You should expect about 10 HP from the bump in compression, 12 HP or so from the cams and another 10 from the intake. All in all when bundled together you should see about 35 HP.

Now keep in mind you will need to get the PCM reflashed to compensate for the different timing tables needed as a result of the change in compression. If you decide to go with a 93 tune you can expect another 10 HP or so from the programming. By the time it's all said and done you should have at least broken the 200 RWHP mark. How much over depends on other mods.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Darren, and Brandon. i know i have seen a few sets of PI heads and intakes at my local PNP. i have not seen a set on a Mustang. so does it matter wich vehicle i get them from, as far as cam profiles are concerned?
second. stupid question i know, but i am an old time chevy (non computer operated racing guy). can my PCM be reflashed without an additional like SCT programmer? and after installation will it at least start and run with the new setup, until i can get it somewhere to be reflashed??
thanks so much for the patients. Darren i'm sure knew more about these than i coming in. but i love my bird, and want to do much more. i just have to stay within a close (way to close) monthly budget for my household.

Hank.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
those have to be the two most common things ever discussed on any 4.6 2V modular engine forum lol

can my PCM be reflashed without an additional like SCT programmer?
If you have to ask, the short answer is "no". :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
PI cams are PI cams, it doesn't matter where they came from excepting Romeo vs. Windsor. Same goes for PI heads, with the exception of Romeo vs. Windsor. 5.4 2v heads are the same as the 4.6 2v heads.

It will probably run, but chances are you will be down on power and driveability, and you would need to run premium fuel anyway to help give yourself a cushion against detonation. Find yourself a used, verified unlocked with vehicle changes XCal2 to start with then get in touch with Don LaSota for the tune file. Or just buy an X3 from Don with the tune. Tuning requires two components: the hardware to get the new program onto the car's computer, and the new program itself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so very much. i believe i have read so much, that after a while it runs together. i even read the specs and differences between the windsor, and romeo engines, and the different years, and block castings, etc. and if i understand what i read, is that they (the PI heads) are interchangeable. but windsor needs, windsor valve covers, and romeo, needs romeo covers. some cams have pressed on gears, and some bolt on gears, but if they are a set, it's ok. change all gaskets, chains, and gears that you can. "it ain't like an old chevy small block," fits everything from 1968, to 1989, LOL. so thanks for not making me feel like an idiot. I can wrench like you wouldn't believe, and if i take it apart i can put it back together.
But i am chaging to a slightly different system, (heads, intake etc.)
and working with a car with a brain, and FI, not just a good 750 holley, or edelbrock.
so i'm reading everything i can, to better understand, i just get confused about some of this stuff.

so again, THANKS!!!

Hank

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my past vehicles, i have bought and used power programmers, but not changed any of the hardware, on the engines themselves. And after programming it, i ran the 92/93 octane for better performance. so i am fine with that. i just want more performance (ya'll never heard that before huh??? LOL) but i don't want to mess up a good running engine from a newbie mistake, or something i didn't understand going into this. i know people on here, with much less mechanical experience than i have done this successfully, ( i read those threads also). i just care about this car a lot, (long story), so i want it to be right.

Thanks
Hank

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If possible.. Find at least an 04+ vic, town car, or whatever so u can get the heads with the longer spark plug threads i cant remember if 03 had the longer threads or not

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay Jamie, Thanks. i am really looking foward to getting this done. and my first step is actually getting the heads, and intake. then i will buy everything else new. so while i am in there, it will get all new goodies!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have a pi intake with aluminum crossover & with plenum & tb spacers ill sell u

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I have some PI cams setting around doing no good , If they can help ya out let me know .

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks, i am buying the intake and stuff off Jamie, and am still looking at heads. i found an 2000 Crwn Vic, police interceptor, and a 2001 gran marquis, but Jamie thinks, only 2001 and later are actual P.I., any input on that?? thanks guys!!

Darren, are they stock P.I. cams?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also are the 4.6 and 5.4 PI heads the same? volume, flow, compression etc? and if so, do i have to get 4.6, or 5.4 timing chains, etc.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
5.4 & 4.6 heads are the same. Just reuse your stock timing chains.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jamie, You are da man!!! thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
also are the 4.6 and 5.4 PI heads the same? volume, flow, compression etc? and if so, do i have to get 4.6, or 5.4 timing chains, etc.
They operate the same. But there are differences physically, if one set are Windsors.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok the PI intake swap is complete, along with some other goodies. The pics are in the newbie forum under, (Hello from Florida) "TBirdNTally". That is my build thread. I met Cobra R Thunderbird, great guy!! and really hooked me up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts