TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've searched and all, but I've done confused myself. I thought bank 2 was passenger side, but 90% of the threads I read said it was the drivers. So to make sure which is bank 2? I just replaced wires bout 3K ago and plugs bout 5K. I replaced drivers side O2 about 4K ago. So when I got this code read at AutoZone, I thought bank 2 was pass side so I bought another O2 sensor, fixed the code last time for drivers side. But hell, if 2 is drivers then its prob not O2, unless its bad. I think one of the posts said a lean condition can be caused by an exhaust leak, true??? Cuz my tranny was just rebuilt and got it back last week, and a buddy heard said he heard an exhaust leak on drivers side, and sure enough, I got out and listened and it does sound like it, stupid tranny shop.
But bank 2 is drivers??? and exhaust leak can cause lean condition???
Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
I did a search, also, and found someone posting that he read, in the service manual, that bank 1 is the passenger side, and bank 2 is the driver side.

Here's a listing of possible causes for a P0174 code (from the 1995 Service Manual). I don't see anything stating an exhaust leak would cause that code, since it refers to the air/fuel ratio.

From the 1995 Service Manual:

H40 DTCS P1131, P1151, P1132 AND P1152: UPSTREAM HO2S(S) NOT SWITCHING. DTCS P1130 AND P1150: HO2S NOT SWITCHING, FUEL SYSTEM AT THE ADAPTIVE LIMITS (RICH OR LEAN). P0172, P0174, P0171 AND P0175: FUEL SYSTEM AT ADAPTIVE LIMITS
Note: Before servicing DTCs P0171, P0172, P0174 and P0175, verify with the customer that before the "Check Engine Light" came on, the vehicle did not run out of fuel.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P1131 and P1151 indicate the system is correcting rich for an overly lean condition. The HO2S voltage is less than 0.45 volt.

DTCs P1132 and P1152 indicate the system is correcting lean for an overly rich condition. The HO2S voltage is greater than 0.45 volt.

DTCs P1130 and P1150 indicate the fuel control system has reached its maximum compensation for a lean or rich condition and HO2S is not switching.

DTC P0171, left bank, and DTC P0174, right bank, indicate the fuel/air ratio is too lean. The system is at the rich limit.

DTC P0172, left bank, and DTC P0175, right bank, indicate the fuel/air ratio is too rich. The system is at the lean limit.

DTC/HO2S Reference List

HO2S-11 = DTCs P1130, P1131, P1132, P0171 and P0172
HO2S-21 = DTCs P1150, P1151, P1152, P0174 and P0175
Possible causes:

Fuel System

Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking fuel injector(s).
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure.
Plugged injector(s).
Damaged/disconnected HO2S circuit.
Induction System

Air leaks after MAF.
Vacuum leaks.
Restricted air inlet.
PCV system.
Base Engine

Oil overfill.
Cam timing.
Compression.
Ignition

Coil and secondary side of ignition system.
Check air intake for leaks, obstructions, and damage.
Check air filter, air filter housing for blockage.
Check positive crankcase ventilation system integrity.
Check engine vacuum integrity.

In my case of the P0174 code, it was vacuum leaks in the PCV line. Replacing the deteriorated rubber hose 'couplers' did the trick.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i uhhhhh just shorted out my Rear passenger o2 sensor.....the shop diagnosed it as Bank 1 sensor 2. So i got that from a shop.....bank 1 passenger side....and bank 2??? anyone anyone????? drivers side. i am confused now cause i always thought it was the other way around. oh well.....the bird runs again.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
How are to tell if your o2 sensors are bad? I just replaced mine less then 3k ago and it didnt fix this problem for long...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
some people have done full tune ups and also gotto new iacs and replaced vacum lines and the code does go away.....mines been stuck on for a while....it sounds like i do have an exhaust leak tho.....so it may be cuased by that

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
thats another thing to try......do the cheap things 1st...before you go droping money into things you may not need

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, well I replaced my driver's O2 sensor and reset computer, and so far its fine, but I've only driven about 60 miles cuz my brakes are poopin up on me now. Gotta love it, tranny, this, and now my brakes all within a couple of weeks. Thanks for all your help!!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well......at least you didn't loose your tranny, blow the rear end, blow the motor, plus 2 wheel bearing changes, one new set of tires, two sets of brakes, and u joints within a year and a half time frame. And most of that happened with in the last 6 months........that's like $13,000 in under 2 years.....$10,000 in under 6 months.

See......it's not all bad.........someone out there is always have a WORSE time.
LOL

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey whats up.....i had the same codes for about a year....finally my mechanic looked at it and it turned out to be a bad MAF sensor. What happens is the voltage runs a little low ....enough to mess up the fuel injection but not enough to mess up performance too bad....i'd recommend getting new MAF....worked for me

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, slow that is too much, lmao. Sorry to hear bout all that so close together. I did have 2 tranny rebuilds in the past 3 months. It went out 2 months after the previous rebuild, but hey can't complain too much cuz it still was under their 6 month warranty. :) I changed my MAF a couple months back, but it was just with a used one. But so far it seems to be running good again. Now only prob I really got is a bad wrist pin, that's what a mechanic told me my clicking was. Definately time to start saving up for an engine swap.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yeah Thumpin_tbird----it kinda sucks.......but the bank likes me alot right now!! *LMAO* How well do you trust your mechanic??? I have heard in the past people misinterpreting the clicking sound (cause by the injectors) to be something else other than what it was. Just courious.......hate to see ya do more than you have too. Our motors really don't let loose to easily unless you run with no oil, too much boost, too much NOS, or suck up too much water through the intake. **LOL**

Later and good luck with the BIRD!
Slowride

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the first time that I have ever used this mechanic, but my pops swears by them. He said the woman mechanic owner is one of the best he's ever met. I'm sure she didn't listen to it too well, just in the car driving and didn't get down and listen. I guess maybe I should just climb around with a pipe and see where I hear it at with the engine revved up til its making the noise. I just bought a can of seafoam, only to realize I need either 1 or 2 more cans to do it fully so I'm gonna buy some more and do it, but only after I listen to it a lil better. lol I'm not a very trusting person usually, but for some reason I just believe her when she told me that's what it was. Thanks for putting the doubt back in my head, cuz it may actually be something cheaper. And like you said I've rarely heard of our 4.6's going bad very early, even though it is at 154K, and I drive it like a mofo. And no, never ran it too low on oil, use slick 50 quite often, and don't have sc or NOS. Thanks man!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts