TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to hi-jack the other thread, so here it goes...

Just driving around in overdrive on the freeway, the trans jumps out of overdrive for about 2 seconds then back in. There dosen't seem to be any pattern to it. Some days it never does it, other days it will do it a few times in a few minutes. Also on the street when I''m off throttle it will drop from 3rd to 2nd, then back again.

I'm asking if this happened to you and what it was. I know there will be a few different causes from different people, I'd just like to hear it all.

Car info:
94 4.6
140K (trans rebuilt at 115K due to shudder)

Thanks!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Mine did it mainly in cold weather until I changed my MLPS.

·
Registered
798 Posts
i would say that sounds like MLPS problems to me. I picked one up for 40$ i believe from bulkpart.com and had it installed in no time. Just make sure your reverse lights come on after you install it, if not loosen the bolts some and move it until the lights come on, then tighten it down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I had ford send me a MLPS to my shop today. I'll install it later on when I'm not busy. It was $64 (not bad for original ford and no wait time) and hopefully this will cure what ails me, er... the trans.

·
Registered
975 Posts
ChrisW01 said:
So do you want to fix this problem or just compare notes.

Chris.................
Okay, maybe I should have been more blatantly obvious. Since my MLPS caused those same symptoms, there's a possibility that his is too. Sorry for any confusion I caused by not pointing out that link.

·
Registered
154 Posts
NAPA sells the MLPS for $19.95 and it's made in USA. Just my .02:)

They call it the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, but the distributor I bought from NAPA had to be returned twice. For a little more I got a real ford part and no hassle... Now as for everything else I attach to the engine, thats another story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts