TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 4.6L with 53,000 miles. The car runs great. Idles perfect in park and neutral. When sitting in drive it idles a little rough. Shift to neutral and it idles fine. Cleaned the MAF and replaced the IAC. No improvement. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Unless I missed the update - the Fuse 15 trick goes like this;

1. Pull out Fuse 15
2. Try to start the car (it won't)
3. Put fuse back in

Computer is now reset.

The other method is to disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Well it seems to me that when you put a load on the system you have an idle problem?

Is your AC, defroster or auto switch on if you have a climent control system? If so it is AC related.

Check the voltage at the battery is it 13+ volts if not you can have a charging issue.

You need to find out what is on when the error is being made? ?:confused:

·
5,650 Posts
Unless I missed the update - the Fuse 15 trick goes like this;

1. Pull out Fuse 15
2. Try to start the car (it won't)
3. Put fuse back in

Computer is now reset.

The other method is to disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes.
The memory of the PCM won't last 1 minute. The method I described works fine. Disconnecting the battery is the same as unplugging the #15 fuse as far as the PCM goes, it just takes power away from the rest of the car.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The method I described works fine.

That's the first time I've seen that posted on any web-site I visit.

Not sure I agree with it.

Disconnecting the battery is the same as unplugging the #15 fuse as far as the PCM goes, it just takes power away from the rest of the car.

I agree - and you will lose your radio presets - that's why the Fuse #15 trick is the one "we" recommend.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
If it is the EEC memory it's way out in a few weeks. The trick is good for almost stock cars. If you have several (or many like me) mods sometimes unplugging the EEC will give you a ruff idle until the EEC re-learns what is up with your car. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it seems to me that when you put a load on the system you have an idle problem?

Is your AC, defroster or auto switch on if you have a climent control system? If so it is AC related.

Check the voltage at the battery is it 13+ volts if not you can have a charging issue.

You need to find out what is on when the error is being made? ?:confused:
No change when everything is shut off. Also reset the computer. Still no change.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I would get a free load test on the battery and have the charging system checked >13 volts.

You need to find out when it is happening. Do you have an auto switch on your AC? If you leave it in Auto the AC may not be off.

Is the car warmed up when the problem occurs? Does it happen when you first start the car and it is cold?

How does has your transmission been? Fluid level ok? Has it been acting up?

Try this link:
http://www.tstacc.com/tech/STORAGE/IAC/IAC.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will check the charging system. The problem occurs when the car is warmed up.
I do hac the auto climate control. Stiil does it when that is off. The link you posted has given me some other things to check. Thanks!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I solved the idle problem. I replaced the plastic pipe with the rubber elbow that runs between the PCV valve and the throttle body. The rubber elbow had a small crack in it. The car now idles perfect.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i had a miss/stutter as the revs went up in the 94 lx that i have too. the thing would idle fine, but as revs went up it'd miss. it finally threw a code of p0308 and after a couple of hours of switching stuff around (injectors and plugs) i found that there was always a little "shine" on which ever plug i put into that cyl. i replaced the coil pack and the miss went away!!!!
this is ofcourse after i had replaced a bad MAFS and a TPS that was maxed out at idle also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts