TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good freind of the family who will be giving me a 1997 Thunderbird. It has the 3.8 in it. I drove it today and i found a couple issues and i would like to find out if they could be serious problems.

First off, the car has 150k on it. It seems to run fine. But, sometimes when you stop the car and hit the gas pedal again, it will barely run...you have to floor it to make it go anywhere. I thought this may be an injection problem? What else could be causing this?

Also, the air conditioner is very cold and the heat is very hot, but the fan dosent blow. It has the climate control in it. Could it be a fuse? a bad a/c unit?

The car is free so either way i will be taking it, but i just wanna know if anybody could give me some insight on what could be wrong with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Not sure on the first one, but the second one sounds like either a fuse, or maybe the blower motor resistor. Either way, a pretty easy fix.

Mike

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Do you get the blower fan to run on any setting?? I'd bet if you turn it on, and reach up under the glove box and jiggle the wires that clip to the motor it will fire up. My 95 has a loose connection there and every so often it will just shut off after hitting a bump. Seen it on a few other Fords as well.

Jay

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish i could check...the car wont be in my posession for about another week or two....

would the transmission or the t/c be a reason for my lack of throttle issue? BTW..the cel is on....

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Yeah deinatly get the codes pulled when you get the car. It could be all sorts of things. The codes will help narrow it down.

More than likely it is a faulty sensor of some sort. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the TC or tranny. I'm sure a good tune up would be a good idea along with cleaning the MAF. Almost sounds like a TPS issue and/or a sticking throttle body.

Does it feel like its missing or just no power for the amount of throttle you are giving it?

Be sure to post the codes though.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tony-

Its feel like there is no power for the amount of throttle i am giving it. I stopped at a stop sign and when i hit the gas it went for a second then just died. After continously giving the car full throttle it would begin to pick up again but very, very slow. Unable to get over 15mph.

Restarting the car would solve the problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
i have the same problem with mine, sometimes, my cel is an egr valve related problem, that evap thing, although if i start it and let it warm up a bit with the remote start i never have the problem, only when its cold start and go, and then its rarely

·
Registered
501 Posts
My issue when I shared in that problem was the the WAF sensor. The guys here told me to unplug it and see if it fixed the problem, and it did... so I had to replace it.

The EGR only ever caused the "ping" in my car until I replaced it and then that went away.

I agree 100% with what the guys are saying... get the car, take some notes and post 'em here. They won't tell you, "oh yeah, go replace this to fix it." just to waste the money and it not work. These guys will tell you how to properly diagnose the problem before you spend the money.

I say pull the motor from the 'free' car and drop in a DOHC Lincoln motor... but then again, I may be biased.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if you clean the throttle body....use a dedicated cleaner (3m 08866) no wire brush. The plate is coated...wire brush & regular carb cleaner will wipe it out. Ya might want to run some seafoam down the vac booster vacuum line...pour it in (slowly) let the engine die. Let set for about 30 minutes & start the vehicle up. Be warned...you will generate somke...................a LOT of smoke:D But the inside of the chambers will be clean

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
The blower not working...the blower controllers go bad sometimes (not the control head, but the module near the fan motor) however there is a hidden 30A fuse you need to check first. It's in it's own separate fuse holder next to the fuse block under the dash, has a black flip-up cap on it.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the all the input guys. I dont have a use for the car right now so its basically gonna sit in my driveway. It will give me plenty of time to tinker around with it.

I would eventually like to turn it into some sort of project.

·
Registered
180 Posts
AlpineBird said:
Thanks for the all the input guys. I dont have a use for the car right now so its basically gonna sit in my driveway. It will give me plenty of time to tinker around with it.

I would eventually like to turn it into some sort of project.
I would give the car a basic tune up unless your relative has done it already. It'll benefit your bird in the end no matter what.

·
Registered
472 Posts
AlpineBird said:
Tony-

Its feel like there is no power for the amount of throttle i am giving it. I stopped at a stop sign and when i hit the gas it went for a second then just died. After continously giving the car full throttle it would begin to pick up again but very, very slow. Unable to get over 15mph.

Restarting the car would solve the problem.
i know the problem, your missing 2 cylinders lol.
A good tune up some seafoam and some general upkeep may solve your problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts