TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure if this should go in the suspension or drive train section, maybe both. Anyway, I'm getting more of a "thunk" coming from the rear end of my car whenever I come to a stop and it downshifts into first. I also get it when I driving slow like in parking lots when I'm on and off the gas or in a line of traffic going slow and it's in first gear. It's getting pretty annoying. I've checked all the nuts, bolts and bushings on everything in the rear end, suspension and everything is tight and the bushings are good. The car only has 86, 0000 miles on it. It's a 95 tbird with new rear swaybar end links and a trac loc rear end. A few months ago I upgraded to 3:75 richmond gears, F150 S-clip, 93 Mark VIII aluminum driveshaft and forced lube tailshaft. It seems like it was more noticeable after I had all that done but I'm not sure because my end links were making so much noise before, I didn't hear the "thunk". You can actually feel it too when it does it. I took it back to where I had the gears installed and he double checked everything and said it was good and couldn't find anything. Anyone else experienced this with this kind of setup? It's driving me nuts!!

Mike

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the U joint?
I looked at it while I was under the car and grabbed the driveshaft and tried to rotate it and it didn't have any play and they looked good before I had the driveshaft put it. But I'm probably going to go ahead and replace them just to eliminate it. It does seem like it's coming from that area. Any other thoughts?

Mike

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
My clunk when coming to a stop was due to a bad differential/pinion .
It would pull on the pinion and clunk when braking is my guess ,I replaced the dif and no more clunk just a slower car since I went back to stock 3.27 from 4.10's.

what a difference lol

Good luck man!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My clunk when coming to a stop was due to a bad differential/pinion .
It would pull on the pinion and clunk when braking is my guess ,I replaced the dif and no more clunk just a slower car since I went back to stock 3.27 from 4.10's.

what a difference lol

Good luck man!
I hope that's not the problem, just put new ones in :eek: After having the 3:73's, now way I'd go back to my stock 3:27's! I can just imagine what it was like for you, lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts