1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
quick question on slipping tranny

very confused at this point

ford listing shows that aod aode and 4r70w in 1997 use mercon fluid

several service bullitens say that use of mercon V in these trans will/can result in damage

i cant find straight mercon at any of the local parts outlets (napa/advance ect) all seem to have dexron/mercon compatable fluid

on this website i found
Ford TSB 98-3-6 recommends complete drain & refill with Mercon V for all AODE/4R70W Transmissions. Any other ATF's could prove fatal for the AODE's, which are used in '94 & newer Tbirds. Mercon V should NOT be used in AOD's in '93 & older Tbirs.

on another site i found

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to update the Application Chart.
ISSUE
A new automatic transmission fluid (MERCON(R) V) was introduced in 1997 for use in some Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles. This new MERCON(R) V fluid is not used in all applications and is not interchangeable with others transmissions fluids that are currently used. Using the incorrect fluid may cause transmission or transaxle concerns.

how do i tell whats in my trans now...and what do i top it off with.. some of the newer fluids say on the bottle "compatable with all mercon/merconV ..."

but other listings say never mix mercon with merconV

the problem is i had a bit of slipage/delay on the down shift. checked fluid and was low about 1 pint (showing but low on the stick. I added the DEX/MEC compatable fluid from the parts store..the shift/slipage problem dissapeared the car has been great for about a month. Now the slippage is back again going down the road at say 50 MPH everything fine till i hit to pass then i get slippage before "dropping" into gear. I say dropping because its not really sliipage with revs going up and car accelerating sluggishly. It is as if the car is in neutral then droped or slammed back into drive.

did i screw something up..can i fix it quick by drainging and refilling with one type of fluid or am i screwed?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
add another quick question to the above.
a local mechanic told me there was some kind of TSB on the shifter itself or perhaps it was the module from the shifter to the computer or something like that. Could this be the problem? is the car actuially going into neutral? because of a shifter problem?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Shifting funny, slamming into gear, nuetraling are all common terms used to describe the symptoms of MLPS failure (manual lever position sensor) the little black box on the shifter linkage on the drivers side of the trans....so you might run the codes and look into sensor failure first.

As or the Mercon/MerconV....Merconv is back compatible with all AOD/E/4R70W and is a superior formula over Mercon/Dexiii. I would say anything that states otherwise is straight BS.

·
8,239 Posts
you should use merconV in any 4r70w transmission. Regardless of the year.

The mlps is a 50 dollar item, that bolts to the outside of the transmission, you don't have to drop the trans and most folks can install it themselves.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Here is how to change out the TRS:

http://planet.cnm.edu/bpearce/1994Mercury/TR Sensor.htm

I would go with Mercon V on your car if you can afford it. It was desighined in 97 or 98 to deal with the studder in the transmission. It is a complex hybrid tranny oil utilizing synthetic oil. Otherwise, use Merc III and add Lubegard red and Lucas red additives if the tranny keeps acting funny.

I had the same problem as you and the TRS fixed my problem as well.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
we just got a memo at work saying that ford has handed down info to all dealerships to use mercon V in most ALL aplications, a couple exceptions.... but for the most part all tranny's now will get merc V.

MG

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
Alan, I'm getting ready to do an AOD, is mercon V ok?

This is in a F150, but its a std AOD trans...Should I do the 1-2 and 2-3 accum pistons too?

Only had one prob out of it ever; it would not go into park one night, ground gears, until I turned off the engine.

It has been fine since then... no issues whatsoever... I have never even heard of an auto trans doing that before...

Any ideas? I was going to pm you, but didn't want to hassle you...

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Aod's don't have the 1-2 accumulator but you can use the 4r70w direct accumulator in it. I hear mixed stories about merconV in an aod personally I put cheapo atf in them with a bottle of red lubeguard to help prevent the governor from sticking. I don't see a problem with merconV however.
Alan

·
Registered
790 Posts
I personaly have been using Hystat Tractor fluid 5w35 from Tractor Supplie with a bottle of Lubguard added.....zero issues. It was an experiment, and after doing some research....it is possible it has added benifits. Besides price, consiering you can buy it by the 5gal for 1/2 the price of ATF. It is also clear (besides adding lubguard)....it would be fun to use clear trans cooler lines and add coloring like green or whatnot :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts