TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading all the u/d pulley posts and I've decided to get a set, however, I came across something wierd when I was pricing them out. I went to the ASP site, and it listed the 96-99 Mustang GT 4.6 and the 93-97 T-Bird 4.6 as two different sets, and the T-bird set was about $60 more than the GT set. On top of that, the part numbers for the T-bird set and Cobra set are the same, yet the percentages are different. Steeda.com, however doesn't list different T-bird and Mustang pullies, and lists Cobra and GT pullies as the same price (I know from past threads that Steeda and ASP are the same). Can anybody shed some light on this?? Thanks!

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
If i'm not mistaken the pullies for a 96+ Gt are the same for all years of tbird with the 4.6

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
They must be full of it. All 4.6s up to mid '01 will take the same U/D kits, unless I'm seriously mistaken. In mid '01 the water pump was slightly moved or something. Order the set for the mustang if its cheaper.
-Rob

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
the 94-97 4.6 tbird pullies are exactly the same at the 96-2001.5 mustang gt pullies. i'm not sure why they list them differently. looks like they might be a little misinformed because 93 tbirds had 5.0's. if it will save you $60 i'd go witht he gt pullies. i personally have the steeda's because when i got them i didnt know asp=steeda.

Frank

·
Registered
855 Posts
99-00 Mustangs have different bolt patterns on the crank pulleys. That's probably why they list different p/n's.

Other companies have multiple bolt patterns on them to accomodate many years (i.e. 96-2001.5)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have the real Steeda pulleys, and the only difference that I had noted that the pulley set for the 96-01 GT have a different waterpump pulley. The cobra uses a different style, as well as the late '01- up. The old style waterpump pulley is convex, while I believe the new one in concave in shape. Be sure you get the correct set. And don't forget to put some silicone sealer around the washer and in the keyway of the crank pulley, or you WILL develop a leak sooner or later.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies! I will just go with GT set from ASP. No point in spending a bunch of extra money that could towards something else (like the j-mod). I know well that I don't have a cobra engine, and seeing as how the Cobra and T-Bird pulley's part numbers are the same on the ASP site, I'll assume they're in the wrong.

One more question, what type of silicone sealant do you use around the washer and keyway? Will something like 5200 work? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I don't see why not. Never used that personally, but as long as it can withstand heat, oil, gas, fluids, etc... It should be fine. All I used was some Permatex 1 Form-a-Gasket, and it has been holding so far. All that leaks is the radiator, lol! Don't forget to get a pulley removal tool so you can get the orig. crank pulley off. If you don't own one, just find an AutoZone or similar, they should be able to loan you one for a deposit, which you get back upon return.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts