TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a email about this today and was hoping to get some clarification from anyone that works at a dealership or knows the rules.

It said that a thief can just walk by your car, write down the vin number in your front windshield, call the dealership and say they lost their keys, and the dealership will make a new key from the vin number. They can also get the keyless entry if they want. Is this an urban legend, or is it really that easy? If so, they could just open up your car and drive away like it was theirs!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
when i locked the keys in my car years ago, the car was under moms name, she went to a ford dealership, gave them the vin and her ssn, and got the key. Although, think about it, i dont think a dealership would just give the key out that easily.....i think the person writing the email has seen gone in 60 seconds too many times. Seems like quite an effort, thieves like to be simple.....

BTW, the tow truck driver who towed the Harley Edition F150 parked in my spot saturday night slim jimmed the truck and got in faster that I could count to 5....

joseph

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
i work for a ford dealer. yes from 1996 on you can get a key code by the vin number. but we require proof of ownership and verification of the owner. dont forget on alot of vehicles you have to get the key programmed to work which requires the car be at the dealer.....

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
So even if they were successful, there would be records and witnesses at the dealer, might be eaiser to catch them!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information guys, just wanted to see if this was true and to pass it along to everyone here if it is. Someone suggested, just in case, to put a piece of electrical tape over the VIN to prevent it from being seen without you there. Im sure the dealerships are cracking down like 94 Daily Driven 4.6L said, and I know anyone with talent could use a slim jim and start the car probably as fast as I could unlock and start it with a key, I was just thinking if the dealership didn't keep very good records or if they had some screw ups working there (which has been known to happen), someone could get a key and not have to worry about being seen with a slim jim or anything else.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
1BADMN12 said:
i work for a ford dealer. yes from 1996 on you can get a key code by the vin number. but we require proof of ownership and verification of the owner. dont forget on alot of vehicles you have to get the key programmed to work which requires the car be at the dealer.....
what he said. plus only half of 96's can you get a code

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Here in florida, Several years ago I called the Tag Office w/VIN and gave them my DL# (Which i could of made up) and got the register owner's name and address to the car parked at a local gas station.. (it was broke down) I wanted to see if he want to sell it.. Turns out, the car was stolen, and he was bewildered that I was calling him, and not the police.. he thanked me, and said the car isn't for sale....

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just had to get a new key for my 98 CV. I called the dealer and set everything up, but he would NOT give me the key without the title and a picture ID. So, I think it would be like in Gone in 60 secs; you would have to find a shady dealership.

Rob

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Sounds like what was happening in Toronto a few years back except they would use the plate and VIN to get the owners info and steal the keys from the house and drive the car right out of the garage.

·
midnight toker
1,497 Posts
man thats a scary thought.... (car theft is something to think about here alot since we are so close to mexaco, once it's there you'll never see it again.....)

course then again a scary thought it that there are no background checks for a lock smith I had a key made for my trunk and they just walked out there with a blank key and boom were in... it took like oh 30 sec... and he was training at the time....

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yes it WAS true. Now, its been at least a year, dealerships require proof of ownership. The process basically goes like this ... You get the vin # and proof of ownership, someone with managerial clearance will log onto qcdealer and get your code, Next parts person has a book they will use to decode your key code into 8 different numbered tumblers. They have a cutter with dail type selections for each # and cut your decoded key number. If you have pats .... well it will only be good to open the door. But pats keys usually run $50 plus programming, if you have locked keys in, just buy a regular non-pats type key. If you have 2 pats keys programmed into vehicle already, you can buy a 3rd and program in w/o having to goto the dealer. You will need all 3 keys, process is to cycle first key 8 times, immediately insert 2nd programmed key and cycle 8 times, now insert 3rd unprogrammed key cycle 8 times and leave in run position. Once light stops flashing in cluster ... start your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
funny, my car doesnt have the original key, it has some aftermarket logo on it, it says ilco on it instead of ford.

·
midnight toker
1,497 Posts
mine didn't come with original keys either i just found a blank mercury key on ebay and then had it made onto that....

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
504 Bird said:
I was just thinking if the dealership didn't keep very good records or if they had some screw ups working there (which has been known to happen), someone could get a key and not have to worry about being seen with a slim jim or anything else.

hey, i resemble that remark. :D

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
we require a dl and some sort of proof of ownership . like i said prevoiusly you can only get codes for 96+ cars and trucks, and 96 is a 50/50 chance. if your car has a pats key, it has to be towed to a dealership if you loose them all together. the individual dealerships do not keep those records anymore becasue they are available online thru ford and you have to have manager status to look at them.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
jk89cat said:
and you have to have manager status to look at them.

...or know the manager's logon and password! ;)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
do 97s have PATS keys?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts