1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
10,760 Posts
I really don't care is some ahole wants to sail around the world; but taking a 1 year old is pretty criminal, in my mind.

·
Super Moderator
7,560 Posts
I really don't care is some ahole wants to sail around the world; but taking a 1 year old is pretty criminal, in my mind.
Only because things went wrong. If things went well, it would have been an incredible experience for the whole family. There clearly was no malicious intent or neglect of the child. When things went wrong, they called for help! If they had let the child die at sea to avoid ruining their vacation, that would be a different story, but I honestly feel a little bad for the people.

·
Super Moderator
10,760 Posts
Maybe I was a bit harsh, and I'm sure I was in a boat at a similar age; it just wasn't 8000 miles away from medical services.

The Ocean is a different beast...

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why does that bother you, because they got food poisoning?

Chill out dude.
This. Because taking a 1 y.o. out to sea is not responsible parenting. It bothers me because they un-necessarily placed their child at risk and in most jurisdictions that rises to the definition of child abuse. Granted, before anyone says it, they were on the open ocean which falls under no jurisdiction. I'm well aware of that fact.

I'm no maritime law expert but I'd suppose that as US citizens on a US registered vessel they're still held accountable to US law.

Only because things went wrong. If things went well, it would have been an incredible experience for the whole family. There clearly was no malicious intent or neglect of the child. When things went wrong, they called for help! If they had let the child die at sea to avoid ruining their vacation, that would be a different story, but I honestly feel a little bad for the people.
Do you honestly think a 1 y.o. is going to remember this "incredible family experience"?

Yes, "Only because things went wrong." and precisely because that possibility became reality. These parents should have left Jr. at home. They're very fortunate that Jr. didn't die. The open ocean on a "sail boat" that isn't much more than a dingy is no place for one so young. The risks for the entire family - not just Jr. - are far too numerous to list here. IMHO it's just not responsible parenting. If the parents are willing to assume that risk for themselves they're entitled to do so. However, dragging their children along on such a dangerous journey IMHO is criminal.

The responsible thing to do would have been to leave Jr. and their other child with Grandma and Grandpa or other family member(s) back in the States while these narcissists sailed around the world on their Odyssey.

It never ceases to amaze me how "They did the right thing ..." after the fact somehow justifies the stoopid thing that they did in the first place to put themselves in that predicament. I've heard that argument before, you have to look at the bigger picture.

Maybe I was a bit harsh, and I'm sure I was in a boat at a similar age; it just wasn't 8000 miles away from medical services.

The Ocean is a different beast...
You weren't a bit harsh. Your response was spot on. The open Ocean is indeed a different animal and should be treated with the upmost respect.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This vs. the overcoddling/shelter from everything school of parenting in vogue today? On the grand scale of irresponsible parenting this isn't much worse in my book, but at least this kid can probably tie a knot by the time it's in high school.
If he lives to see the day ...

I understand what you're saying about coddling. However, at 1 y.o. I don't think he's ready to start tying knots just yet.

On the grand scale of irresponsible parenting this isn't much worse in your book than what?

It's pretty high on my list ...

·
Super Moderator
17,153 Posts
Get em started young I say :D

Maybe it's the cynic in me but this whole story is only newsworthy to make "responsible parents" feel better about their own overbearing parenting styles. The reality is that there's 1 year olds growing up in poverty in crime ridden slums with heroine addict parents who would be lucky to make it to high school themselves(the kid AND parent in most cases!), but do those ridiculously common stories make headline news? No. It's too unpleasant and unrelatable. But a seemingly regular family who makes the rather poor judgement to take a boat trip with a baby? "Oh this is an outrage! OMFG Put those kids in a foster home before they're killed!!!:rolleyes:"

I do agree with your sentiment that they should be billed for the rescue though.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL :tongue:

... Oh, you had to go to the slums to top that one. Yea, you're a cynic. I rest my case. LOL

Meh, bill 'em for the rescue and call it a day.

You can't fix stoopid.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
What if there was a crew of say, 20 men and women and a few other children on the ship...one day, the captain of the ship tells a young woman "We are sending you and two of the children off on one of the life boats, we have contracted cholera"

Oh dear...she says...cholera....oh my.....

So they send her on her way...eventually they land on an island, they are the only ones on the island...she teaches them about life, and then....

Oh hell, everybody's seen The Blue Lagoon....

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who are we going to bill for searching for this stupid airplane that went down in the middle of the ocean ? Theyre all dead, end of story.
:confused: What's Malaysia 370 have to do with this story?

Back on topic:

Their words, not mine ...

Kaufman family blog post said:
"This may be the stupidest thing we have ever done. 'Stupid' is the number one word that resonates throughout my day."

·
Super Moderator
10,760 Posts
My parents were pretty hardcore; one of my earliest memories is of getting hot rubber thrown on me at the strip, standing in the wrong spot. :)

I was potty trained by two; this is my only memory in a diaper, lol.

I could shoot pretty well early on; won a lot of cash for the old man, from what I've heard after he passed, lol. I kinda remember, but I'm sure my mom never knew. :)

I'm just not a coddling type guy; but I still think there's a better place for a 1yo than the middle of the ocean.

Reading several articles since then, it seems 'mom' wasn't too happy either... :D

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Waste of our navys time. You want them to be billed. In the end the taxpayers pay for these missions, at least this one had a positive outcome.
True. At least this one had a positive outcome.

I don't think looking for Malaysia Air 370 is a waste of time. There were three Americans on the aircraft after all ...

I think when, not if, they find the aircraft it's going to reveal a helluva story. It's going to take some time but they'll get it done.

Yea, there will always be unanswered questions but at least some of the questions will be answered and, this will ultimately be the impetus for implementation of better tracking of commercial aircraft.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,760 Posts
...this will ultimately be the impetus for implementation of better tracking of commercial aircraft.
This is the second thing that has completely and totally amazed me in the last few years; it really takes a lot these days. :mad:

I am completely amazed that there is no method in place to keep a Commercial Airliner under surveillance at all times; they have actually been used as weapons already, wtf?

If we ever hit China or Russia with cruise missiles, we know which way to send them, lol.

The previous one that completely amazed me was that a ~80yo Nun and some elderly hippies could break into the Y12 atomic weapons plant and throw blood all over their nice new Uranium Repository.

That they could do that blows my freaking mind; good thing there aren't actually any Real terrorists.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Coast Guard and Navy SAR helos rescue scores of illegals trying to enter the country in the SD area all the time. Many drown.

They also stay busy when rain causes mudslides in Mexico that wash their victims out to sea.

I would think money for stuff like that is already in their budget.

What troubles me is the vaccinations for mosquito-borne illnesses the child may not have received yet. Before vaccines were developed, sailing ships used to bring yellow fever back to the States from the Carribean all the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts