TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This on a 96 Cougar with 4.6.

I have been reading manuals and threads and have all the parts to re-do pretty much my whole front end. My question whether or not the stock anti-sway bar needs to come completely out just to replace the bushings?

If yes then...

The official manuals say take off the serpentine belt and crankshaft damper and transmission cooler lines.

The anti-sway bar thread here. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=106350 Seems to show the stock bar coming out with just undoing the steering linkage.

If it needs to come out please let me know the simplest way to do it. Thanks.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Actually, you don't even need to pull the endlinks. The bushings are split. You can see the split in this picture, especially in the bushing on the right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great news. That was kind of my suspicion, but I am about into information overload on this job and it's really my first time into any kind of a suspension job like this. Thanks.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Not a problem. As far as info for these cars goes, you've come to the right place. Welcome.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually, you don't even need to pull the endlinks. The bushings are split. You can see the split in this picture, especially in the bushing on the right.

Is it safe to assume that the rear sway bar bushings can go on the same way without pulling it?
Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another dumb question, I saw a few posts about the bushings and saddles with grease zerk. I'm keeping things stock, should I grease the inside and/or outside of the bushings before I put them in?

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I'd put some in there, yes.

But better than stock while looking stock - get the Energy Suspension greaseable units.

If you keep them greased, you won't get any "ERK"s or groans out of them, and they'll help firm up the cornering a bit.

RwP

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Is it safe to assume that the rear sway bar bushings can go on the same way without pulling it?
Ron
Yes.

I'd put some in there, yes.

But better than stock while looking stock - get the Energy Suspension greaseable units.

If you keep them greased, you won't get any "ERK"s or groans out of them, and they'll help firm up the cornering a bit.

RwP
Agreed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After taking a closer look, the sway bar to frame bushings look pretty good. The upper link bushings have escaped at some point in time, & the bottom bushings look old & cracked.
I plan to install new links & bushings tomorrow. Are there any tricks about doing them, that I should know before starting?
Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts