TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work as a security guard normally 2nd shift, but they just let 2 people go due to being unprofessional. So now I was asked or told to work 3rd until they find replacements. Any one else work 3rd shift?. Haven’t worked the graveyard in 3 years. At least I get Friday off.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Third shift is the best shift...no chiefs, just indians. I worked third shift in patrol for over 10 years. Would never want to work anything else.

Plus, whenever you go anywhere during the day there are usually fewer people...like to the grocery store, movies, etc.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I guess it’s pretty quiet right now. Glad I have the internet and MP3 player to keep me busy on break. It's just me in a 3 story super huge building right now, kind of creepy when I do my rounds. Waiting for gremlins to jump out at me, lol.:D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Biggest problem when I worked 3rd some years ago is when to sleep - when you get home or before you go to work the next day. Darken your room and unplug the phone.
Like mentioned above - actually a good time to be at work.

·
Registered
647 Posts
lobo said:
Third shift is the best shift...no chiefs, just indians.
Plus, whenever you go anywhere during the day there are usually fewer people...like to the grocery store, movies, etc.
Both good reasons for working 3rd. I will have been on third 5 years in April. It has its pros and cons, but so do the other shifts.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I worked third for a couple years at my last job. 15% bonus for the shift, mostly sitting around waiting for stuff to break and fix it if it did (Systems Administrator), all of the traffic was going the other way leaving my commute nice and easy, and could do anything I needed to do during the day instead of trying to rush around and do it at lunch and still eat and be back by an hour.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dusty said:
Biggest problem when I worked 3rd some years ago is when to sleep - when you get home or before you go to work the next day. Darken your room and unplug the phone.
Like mentioned above - actually a good time to be at work.
I got off at 6 am this morning and just woke up now, I go to bed as soon as I get home, I have the whole bed room darken with some curtains, my only problem is waking up to the fat welfare collecting neighbors up stairs doing it doggy style and the head board is smacking the wall. But yeah cant complain, it's just hard getting into a sleep schedule.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
For the first year of 3rd shift I was in a downstairs apartment which was half underground, I had my bedroom in the part of the apt that had no windows, was very easy to sleep. ;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
OxmanWI said:
I got off at 6 am this morning and just woke up now, I go to bed as soon as I get home, I have the whole bed room darken with some curtains, my only problem is waking up to the fat welfare collecting neighbors up stairs doing it doggy style and the head board is smacking the wall.
Am I the only one that read that?
ahahahahahaha

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I have done a lot of 3rd shift in the past two years. Still do it once in a while because I work freelance and have to take the good jobs that come up. My problem is where I live parking can be pretty bad and coming home at 3-4am is hard to find parking. After 5am and people start going to work so it's easier to find spots. Now I don't have to worry cause I have my own spot. That's city live I guess.

Also it is easier to get things done in the day time like going to the bank, grocery store, etc. Also the traffic usually goes the oppisite when I went in at 6-8pm and no traffice when I got out of work.

My main problem is sleep though. I can't sleep too well if it's light out. So I have to try to close all blinds and sometimes it doesn't help much. Also damn neighbors think it's ok to play drums or blast music at 10 or 11am and I am trying to sleep. The noise laws aren't in favor of third shifters, that's for sure. It also sucks for the singles because everyone usually goes out for drinks or a bite after work and you are just going to work. You also miss any of the good TV shows but there haven't been many lately anyway. You can usually catch the online or download them though. Also the delivery people sometimes come in the morning and it sucks being woken up. People look at you wierd when you are woken up from sleeping at 11am and you are not a high schooler on summer vacation.

Overall I'm not a big fan of 3rd shift. I try not to take those jobs but if there aren't any others then I have to.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
OxmanWI said:
welfare collecting... doing it doggy style
You have no right to complain. Do they complain when you are working for your paycheck? Then you can't complain when they are working for an extra welfare check.

:rofl:

·
Registered
689 Posts
im doing one tonight then when i get done here at 4 am im going right to my first shift dont do them to often most of the time i work fridays 10 am to 8 pm and sat and sun from 330 am till 130 or 2 pm and mondays from 8 am to 6 pm then ive got 3 days off but alot of them time im working over time

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
CaliHwyPatrol said:
C shift rules! People can't see a light bar at night when it's not on. :D

~Chuck
Maybe not, but I can spot Vic headlights or parking lights a mile off. And yes, those are all they use in my area, no chebbies, or I guess the new chargers.

I've been working third shift for over 2 years now, and I think it really sucks. I have the hardest time trying to get on a regular sleep schedule, and especially when I have to adjust for the weekends. I'm a really deep sleeper though, and not much wakes me up (including my alarm). I think the other part of my sleeping problems is not being able to see daylight in my darkened room, and pretty much sleeping the entire day away until I have to go back to work. So, yeah, I have no life.

Hopefully I'll only have to do this for another year, maybe two at the most...

-Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts