TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
If I remember right. There is a Allen bolt in the lower right hand side of the time cover. Don't miss it or you might snap your timing cover.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Also now is a good time to get a BHJ balancer. Most of the cases of the SC balancer falling apart come from when it is removed and reinstalled, and if it falls apart, getting the remaining sleeve off the crank will be a major PTIA.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already had to do the balancer, (no fun) and unfortunately I don't have the money to get the bjh balancer at the moment. Thanks for the heads up on the bolt. Any suggestions on the cam sensor?

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Set the motor to #1 TDC compression, and with a paint marker make a line that goes across the shutter in the sensor, the sensor housing, and the timing cover. When you put it back together, make sure it is back at #1 TDC compression, and make sure all the marks line up, and you will be good to go.

Or they make a tool that clips in the top of the sensor body and holds it in place properly aligned to reinstall it.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Mike, its 26° ATDC will line up with the notch in the balancer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
To back up Mike's statement, we got 13 months out of the reinstalled balancer before it ruined the crank snout in my son's '94 SC. We reinstalled it perfectly and it still self-destructed. The stock SC balancers (at least the '94's) are sort of like those tourque-to-yeild head bolts that can only be installed once.

Do the repair now but start saving for the BHJ immediately. Try to get one and install it in the next few weeks or couple of months at the most. It would suck to ruin the engine because of a balancer failure.

Oh and good luck on your repair.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Do I need to remove the sensor before pulling the cover?
Yes, the gears mesh with the cam gear. Mark all positions before you remove the sensor--even take a picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts