TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,121 Posts
Did you mean for a 1994 Thunderbird, or a 1994 Cougar?

The headlights are different - and I've got some non-Cougar headlights in my 1991 (which Cougar used the same headlights 1991-1995.)

RwP

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Based on his other topics it looks like he has a 94 Bird.

The consensus I've seen says that they are too small for projectors. Then again I still need to find out the length and width of projectors and compare them to my Cougar's headlights and Grand Marquis' headlights before I go too far with my project. It's too bad nobody makes aftermarket headlights for our cars but it does feel good when you make it happen yourself. A good option for you Slow is to upgrade to the 96/7 style and add the projectors. I think the width of the projectors is where the pre-96 headlights have a problem but when there's a will there's a way.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,487 Posts
The problem with projectors on pre 96s is the fluted lens, 96-97s (and grand marquis conversions) are clear. Size wise the older housings would likely be even more accomidating, but putting a projector behind a fluted lens would completely defeat the purpose, you may as well use a crappy drop in HID kit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to chime in my 2 pennies, I just did the Eagle Eyes on my 95 tbird with bi-xenon hid's. They look awesome at night, pic in my garage.(as soon as I upload them, sorry)
No one flashing me due to blinding. Wide, bright white (5k) light.
Highly recommend the upgrade.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just to chime in my 2 pennies, I just did the Eagle Eyes on my 95 tbird with bi-xenon hid's. They look awesome at night, pic in my garage.
Did you do the projectors as well?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Just to chime in my 2 pennies, I just did the Eagle Eyes on my 95 tbird with bi-xenon hid's. They look awesome at night, pic in my garage.
Your headlights aren't shown on your Garage. Did you upload them?

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If I went with the 96/97 headlights in my 95, do I need to swap the hood as well?
The only stuff you HAVE to swap is the header panel behind the front bumper cover so that the lights will actually install. But if you leave the 94/95 hood you'll have "eyelashes" above the headlights where they don't quite line up to the hood.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Has any one tried the led bulbs in our cars? They run 120 for a good set and there just plug and play. There a crap load brighter then stock.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Has any one tried the led bulbs in our cars? They run 120 for a good set and there just plug and play. There a crap load brighter then stock.
Quality light is NOT as much about brightness as it is how it is projected down the road. The headlights in our cars do not project well, you can put the brightest style of light in there, and it will still not light up as well as a decent projector retrofit.

LED bulbs also have design issues, they aren't like an incandescent bulb that has it's light created by the filament, or an HID that has it's light created at the arc, but by a diode or series of diodes that are extremely directional. They won't bounce off the reflectors in our lenses as well as an incandescent will, and even the "plug and play" HID lights give a scattered, wide, unfocused light pattern.

You can do a few things to mitigate that dispersal, such as aim them down to not blind oncoming drivers, but that's going to severely limit your visibility as well by having a very bright point close to the front end of the car, and not further down the road where you need to see.

The only things we can do to get better light are A) Get the best incandescent bulbs you can get, make sure your lenses are clean and not yellowed/hazy, and aim them properly so they focus down the road or B) install some good projectors, make sure you're not hazy, and aim them properly.

A good projector does an excellent job with focusing the light and cutting it off so there is no bleed over.

I am of the opinion that the reason most don't flash you when you're driving down the road with "plug n play" HID's is because people just don't realize they are supposed to anymore. I very rarely get the courteous little flash to say (there's something up ahead like a police car or some deer, be careful) and people look at me confused when I do it. Older folks, guys on motorcycles, and people who actually enjoy driving tip me a wave when I do it, but even at night if I flash someone who's high beams are on, they just don't get it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This is an EXCELLENT comparison of Halogen vs HID vs LED in a factory projector housing in a Mazda 3.

I know a halogen projector isn't ideal for HID or LED lightbulbs, but it shows the clear difference between the three. To my eye, the HID does the best job in this comparison.

Here's a good side by side comparison of a drop in HID kit in a regular halogen housing.

Notice all the light bleed over. For HID and LED, projectors are the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,487 Posts
I am of the opinion that the reason most don't flash you when you're driving down the road with "plug n play" HID's is because people just don't realize they are supposed to anymore. I very rarely get the courteous little flash to say (there's something up ahead like a police car or some deer, be careful) and people look at me confused when I do it. Older folks, guys on motorcycles, and people who actually enjoy driving tip me a wave when I do it, but even at night if I flash someone who's high beams are on, they just don't get it.
Maybe it's that my car is too low and the entire new car buying public has jumped on the tall CUV bandwagon but even factory projectors on those blind me now, I think everyone is just used to driving in the evening sucking. I flashed my lights at someone a month ago, then they flashed back their high beams I thought they already had on! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Maybe it's that my car is too low and the entire new car buying public has jumped on the tall CUV bandwagon but even factory projectors on those blind me now, I think everyone is just used to driving in the evening sucking. I flashed my lights at someone a month ago, then they flashed back their high beams I thought they already had on! :tongue:
Yeah, mine is very low too. I don't worry about the regular lights hitting me, I just focus more toward the right side of my lane in that case, but I notice very very few people have their lights aimed well too. Seems to be a lost art.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah, mine is very low too. I don't worry about the regular lights hitting me, I just focus more toward the right side of my lane in that case, but I notice very very few people have their lights aimed well too. Seems to be a lost art.
I agree. Aim your ****!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts