TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody done the homework on radiator upgrades/fitment?
Any big radiator upgrades out there that are close to the right fitment?
i.e. fluidyne?
Not sure if'll I'll have issues with the 03 cobra unit.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I went with a universal Summit radiator, along with their brackets and cheapy over flow tank.
Not an exact fit, but I'm used to that with these cars...or I should say with my car.

Here is a quick pic...

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I got mine for my car, wish I could get the guy to make more
Alan
That's looks nice, Alan! Nice Mark VIII fan, too! Does this guy sell these? He should.
I just have the Cobra radiator in mine with a Mark VIII fan and external tranny cooler - works fine.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I am going with the frpp cobra radiator next time, fwiw. The ebay Mustang dual core radiator with built in trans cooler was cool and appeared to be built very well, but it really sucked to get it to fit.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
No unfortunately my radiator is one of a kind, cobra radiators fit like crap, I wouldn't bother with one.
Alan

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
No unfortunately my radiator is one of a kind, cobra radiators fit like crap, I wouldn't bother with one.
Alan
Bummer, but what do you mean by "fit like crap"? Mine looks totally stock. Unless I point it out, nobody knows that radiator didn't come in that car. It has all the mounts bolted up properly and looks VERY stock. If you look super closely, the only way you can tell that something isn't right is in the corner of my battery box, I had to cut about 1/2" out because the solid aluminum Cobra radiator is slightly wider than a Bird radiator. Tomorrow I'll take some pics in the daylight and post them.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The hoses do not fit very well. Most I have seen leak because they split the hose to get it started which doesn't work well. I had to swell a brand new hose for the one I fixed recently. That is difficult.
Alan

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The hoses do not fit very well. Most I have seen leak because they split the hose to get it started which doesn't work well. I had to swell a brand new hose for the one I fixed recently. That is difficult.
Alan
Oh, I forgot about that. Listen to my deal with my hose. Since the bottom nipple on the radiator is so much bigger, it's hard to get that hose on. Well, after wrestling with it for something like 45 minutes, my GF says, did you try oiling it up? I rubbed a little oil on the inside of the hose and it slipped right on like nothing. Unbelievable....

And my radiator has been in for over a year, no splits, no leaks, no problems.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The hose definately has to be stretched. I have a hot water parts washer so I put a piece of metal in it that fit tight then warmed it up in the parts washer and let it cool, found a slightly larger piece and did it again.
Alan

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i have a griffen in my car and have been very happy, granted i bought it new for about 1/2 price from a guy here on boards 4 years ago.

David

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The hose definately has to be stretched.
Alan
I had a hell of a time installing the bottom hose with my "mustang" radiator. I think i fought with it for 30 minutes. Even with vaseline I couldnt get the hose on. So I pulled the radiator out and was able to install the hose with vaseline in about 20 seconds.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Two things,

1) I've got the 2.5" thick Griffin radiator and it works well, but if I had it to do over I'd get the 2.0" thick one instead. That would provide more clearance between the fan and the engine, and between the radiator end tank and the A/C lines. Plus, the restriction to airflow would be less, improving my A/C and trans oil cooler performance.

2) Be very careful using lubricants to install any coolant hoses. Since they never really "dry", they increase the likelihood of popping a hose off under max system pressure. This is the specific reason Ford does not allow anything other than a special alcohol-based lube called Merpol, which does dry, in the vehicle assembly plants.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Cobra Radiator Installed

FWIW and as I promised, here are pics of the Cobra Radiator and Mark VIII fan installed in my Thunderbird. Sorry the car is so dirty, I live on a dirt road in the middle of the sticks...

Here, you can see the corner I had to cut out for the battery box. It was also a good place to run the tranny lines through (had to use external cooler):

Here is a good comparison of the Thunderbird vs. Mark VIII cooling fans when I swapped them:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The smaller blade on the left isn't from an mn12 fan(at least not any factory one), the blades between the mark and tbird are identical.
Well, it came off my 1995 and it didn't look like it had ever been removed (based on the wiring to it). I can tell you this - I have all the original paperwork on this car and when the car was like 3 months old, the original owner brought it back to the Ford Dealership complaining that the a/c wouldn't blow cold when you sit idling. Maybe the Ford dealership put that fan on? I did think it kind of weird that the casing was exactly the same, yet the 'Bird had that little blade on there; well, not exactly the same, but that little fan didn't fill the funnel, knowwhatimean?

I bought the car from the 2nd owner who had it parked for a few years and I noticed the a/c would blow colder when moving, but I've had other cars like that so I just figured nature of the beast. Since I put that monster Mark fan in there, it doesn't have that problem.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I'm just not sure my 03 radiator/fan will be up for the task at my power level once I get the car back running this winter. Alot more BTU(s) to dissipate than the stock cobra had.

Question: Regarding radiators available on the market, anybody have P/N's or links? I.E. griffin models? I'd like to review the size, and capability of the options with good fitment.

Thanks!

edit: ok not much info on these, but two options I found here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-7-295BJ-FXX/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-7-595BJ-FXX/

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well I disagree the cobra unit will cool it I ran mine with the svo blower setup on the road course 20 minutes straight never got to 200 degrees were as the stock unit was 230 but that is from a road course point of view for you

Robert

1 - 20 of 24 Posts