TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice....
Currently finishing up my first year of college - shooting for a major in graphic comm.

Now thing is, it's becoming blatently obvious that cars are my passion. I love designing things, but it takes a lot to get me to write it on paper. I'd rather just do it off the top of my head (generally). So I've been thinking maybe going into auto body refinishing and customization........

So what's the job world look like for something like this? I do NOT want to be working at Maaco all my life (I can't do assembly line cheap style paint jobs...)

-Justin W

*so what color of flames would look good on an 80 tbird? :) Might snatch it up and play with it a little....

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Color of flames would depend on the color of the car.
I like black with dark blue flames.

Dan H AKA "onequicksc" is the most informed body person I've met.

Perhaps you should search for auto body or detailing forums? There must be some out there....

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GreenBird said:
Color of flames would depend on the color of the car.
I like black with dark blue flames.
This car is white with one of those wonderful soft tops on the back half (tan top).
So if I get it, I might decide to find out what's under that soft top (if I can rip it off and find a paintable surface under there) and maybe mess with some other things. I was thinking a blue long licking ghost flame....

We'll see....it's a car that I'd like to make an actual project out of, so I don't want to destroy it in the process...

Good idea on the boards though, I'll have to do some looking when I get time....
(should be writing papers instead)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Not sure if it's what you're thinking about but there's a group called the The Goodguys Rod & Custom Association. I went to their Spring Nationals in Talllahassee a couple of weekends ago and saw more custom everything than I've ever seen, not that I've seen it all. Their web site is at www.good-guys.com and might be a good place to look around.

I'd also like to see some pics of this 80 'Bird when you get going on it - thought I was the only one around that liked that body style. :) Always thought one with a mild chop top might look good.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hehe....Just like this except:
Tan/Brown lookin top in place of the white soft top....
10 hole chrome wheels (all rusted now)

Blue ghost flames
Cowl hood? (gotta brace it enough to make it functional) :)
I'll see what I can shave on it too...emblems, molding....whatever can come off will :)

Chop? ewwww...If it becomes any sort of a driver (needs engine and trans work) probalby not. I can't sit in the seat the way it is now with it all the way back and all the way down (head hits ceiling and kness hit wheel)

we'll see...I'll have to see if I can get it and come up with some ideas..

*EDIT*
Yeah, needs a cowl hood.....maybe shave the taillights and put in 2 narrow stripes there? :)
heh......I'll end up spending a buttload of $ on something for me to fk with....
*EDIT#2*
Okay, chop the front 2 or 3". I'm not aware of HOW to chop the rear pillars on a car like that, but could probalby get away with chopping 1" off the B pillar and 2 off the A pillar.
:)

-jw

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Dubbs I got an '81 Cougar 5.0L out back that looks alot like that. I haven't gotten a whim to restore it yet, I'm thinking of my black car and a certain Impala. You and I could open up a performance shop and restore MN12's and sell them. :D It would be great fun. You'd just need to buy some wrenches of your own.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TurboCat said:
You'd just need to buy some wrenches of your own.
No I wouldn't.....just go visit people and accidently leave their tools in my trunk and then get reamed out for it for the next 2 months! :)

Restore MN12s......hmmm.....OK

What's the dealio with that 81 5.0 kitty?

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
TurboCat said:
... restore MN12's and ....
There falling apart that fast to need to be restored?

Ouch.. Gives another check mark next to My cat.. deleted four from MN12 Column..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts