TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to make my car a little louder. I was thinking of removing the rear cat out of the system I already removed the resonator. The 2 individual front cats are staying. I was wondering if any of you had problems with passing the cali smog test after removing the 3rd cat. My car will appear to have the 3rd cat still if I do remove it. I will cut the Y cat apart and weld up a new Y pipe and then weld it into the Y cat and then weld it all back together. I am just trying to make my car sound like it is actually a V8. I don;t wwant it really loud, maybe just a little louder than a stock 2v mustang.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I think Porkchop passed the smog test like that .

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried listening to the sound files in the sticky above, but most of them were now gone. I am just hoping to be able to get a nice sound and not have to keep redoing everything.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Removing the 3rd cat will not make your car louder - its just going to make your smog inspection numbers go way up but Im sure you'll still pass with the factory cats up front.

Sounds like a waste of time, you would be better off Cutting your mufflers off, that will make your car louder, but you are going to lose a little back pressure at the same time.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
My 95 had no mufflers first and no third cat second. No third cat made the car much louder, I don't know about smog through

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
My 95 had no mufflers first and no third cat second. No third cat made the car much louder, I don't know about smog through
This is when loud becomes obnoxious and annoying at certain highway speeds.

My professional opinion ... leave it stock or just put some different mufflers on it. Dont cut off the 3rd cat - its illegal.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

My professional opinion ... leave it stock or just put some different mufflers on it. Dont cut off the 3rd cat - its illegal.
Thats why I'm glad mine's just a resonator, which I plan to delete this summer when I get my car back from the body shop... (hopefully Tuesday, keeps getting delayed...)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't want it too loud. It's a daily driver and I am getting old. I will try some mufflers and see how I like it. The 3rd cat will stay. If the 3rd cat helps that much with the smog numbers and makes it that much easier for me to pass smog, then I am keeping it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't they do a visual inspection during a SMOG check? I ran into that here in PA, had to take my car somewhere else where they weren't so observant.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up just getting stock 04 cobra mufflers and welded them on to my car. The car sounds like a v8 now. it is still quiet at idle and cruise but when i step on it it gets a little throaty. I am very happy with the sound. I wasn't looking for loud as I have a car that is already extremely loud. I wanted it to sound like a v8 since it is one and I ended up with that. For anyone else doing this, the car is only slightly louder at idle and cruise and then comes alive when you step on the gas pedal. Don't expect it to be overly loud. I can still hear the engine over the exhaust until about 2,000 RPMs. I just wanted to update this for anyone searching out the topic and finds this.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heck if i know, they were stock 04 cobra mufflers. That would make sense to me if they have pressure relief valves in them why they get louder once I really step on the throttle. I will try to get the part number off of them after dinner and look them up and post back. I really love how quiet they are when cruising and how they are a little louder on heavy throttle.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Part number is hard to read but appears to be fI7950-a-0274 which brought nothing up in a search. They are what ever muffler was used on a stock 04 Cobra as ford put it ont eh show room floor.

·
Registered
231 Posts

do you do 55 in the 55 mile per hour zone? speeding is illegal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts