TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats in the trunk, the hard yellow foam like stuff.

I need to take some measurements and put an amp rack in there, and in order to do so need to get in there with a wire wheel and get rid of a whole bunch of that yellow sound dampening stuff, the hard yellow stuff not the rubber tar crap.....

Well my dad thinks that the stuff is there for a REALLY good reason, and if I remove it, then I run the risk of a weld or seam popping and coming apart, or that the yellow stuff is holding the car together like glue to strengthen tack welds along body lines.

so is any of that correct?? I want to know before I go and do something potentially stupid. Can I grind that crap away safely or will my car fall apart?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If its foam its most likely for sound/vibration dampening. I presume you would be just fine. It has been a long time since I looked in my trunk with the carpet out.
-Rob

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
here is another good shot...

yeah, the stuff does not add any support to the car, nor does it hold the seams together.
Seems like its a weather proofing that put on the car to keep the elements out.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not the rubber..... because of that thread I know you can remove the rubber, I'm talking about the yellow foam like stuff, it's in the upper right corner of that pic above this.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
we are all on the same page.....yes, the stuff that is yellow(did you read anything?), is not structual.

·
Banned
287 Posts
we are all on the same page.....yes, the stuff that is yellow(did you read anything?), is not structual.
That's funny, you're so nice...

I can tell you this too, that sh*t stinks when it burns.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
i think all that foam stuff is in the rockers too.i think it may add some strength but i think it also adds to more areas for water to get trapped

·
Banned
287 Posts
i think all that foam stuff is in the rockers too.i think it may add some strength but i think it also adds to more areas for water to get trapped
If the yellow foam was supposed to be any sort of supportive (adhesive) structurally, I would be afraid to drive Ford's around.

Guys, it does not add strength, it's a freaking filler for NVH cancellation, and for weatherproofing the car's unibody seams.

·
Banned
287 Posts

·
Banned
287 Posts
thats in the trunk, the hard yellow foam like stuff.

I need to take some measurements and put an amp rack in there, and in order to do so need to get in there with a wire wheel and get rid of a whole bunch of that yellow sound dampening stuff, the hard yellow stuff not the rubber tar crap.....

Well my dad thinks that the stuff is there for a REALLY good reason, and if I remove it, then I run the risk of a weld or seam popping and coming apart, or that the yellow stuff is holding the car together like glue to strengthen tack welds along body lines.

so is any of that correct?? I want to know before I go and do something potentially stupid. Can I grind that crap away safely or will my car fall apart?
You know, I can't beleive I did this, but I just realized what you are talking about now... DO NOT REMOVE THAT STUFF, YOUR CAR WILL FALL APART. Your dad is absolutely right, it is there for a REALLY good reason, it's holding the car together.

I mean who the hell would weld the unibody together, when you can simply glue it together. In fact, _95badbird, you better watch it, your car is going to fall apart.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
You know, I can't beleive I did this, but I just realized what you are talking about now... DO NOT REMOVE THAT STUFF, YOUR CAR WILL FALL APART. Your dad is absolutely right, it is there for a REALLY good reason, it's holding the car together.

I mean who the hell would weld the unibody together, when you can simply glue it together. In fact, _95badbird, you better watch it, your car is going to fall apart.
sh1t!

you think liquid nails or gorrila glue might work then?

I wonder if that same stuff would hold the roll cage in too?

·
Banned
287 Posts
sh1t!

you think liquid nails or gorrila glue might work then?

I wonder if that same stuff would hold the roll cage in too?
I'd go with something a little stronger for the roll cage, like Super Glue....

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I'd go with something a little stronger for the roll cage, like Super Glue....
thanks for the tip.....that should work, I mean, I have seen on TV where they were holding a car up in the air with just super glue....amazing stuff.

thanks again!

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
the problem for me is : the shop redid my rocker panels. they removed the mono foam in there- they thought someone actually put it in. but i cant put a jack under the rockers anymore- it will damage. i think they may have pussyed out of welding it together.

·
Registered
746 Posts
the problem for me is : the shop redid my rocker panels. they removed the mono foam in there- they thought someone actually put it in. but i cant put a jack under the rockers anymore- it will damage. i think they may have pussyed out of welding it together.
Ive been pondering on this for a little while now, I plan on ordering a sit of rockers soon but Im not sure what Im going to do with the foam situation yet..

·
Banned
287 Posts
So you're saying that since the dampening foam is now missing/gone, you can no longer jack up your car because this will in turn damage the rocker panels?

Ive been pondering on this for a little while now, I plan on ordering a sit of rockers soon but Im not sure what Im going to do with the foam situation yet..
You can actually order new rockers?? I'd stick the the tried and true rockers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts