TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tmobile contract ends in two weeks, and i'm shopping for another provider. Tmobile coverage around here is not the best.

I typically use like 500 minutes a month, and a ton of minutes during nights and weekends. I don't need any extras, but I text message like its my job.

Anybody know of any good deals going on?

Right now i'm eyeballing nextel, its so pimp.

I'm paying 39.99 plus text messaging fees for 600 anytime and free nights/weekends for tmobile right now.

Thanks guys.
Justin

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
well im driving up to NY this weekend so i'll let you know how my verizon plan is on the coverage. cant help you with the extras though cause i dont use them and i have a family plan.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
According to Consumer Reports, Verizon got the second lowest for total problems/customer complaints and the one below that wasn't a national carrier. Whereas Cingular/ATT wireless came in at #1 for total complaints/problems. I have them now and the plan is OK but the customer service is terrible. I'm probably going to buy out of it and go with Verizon. Just my .02.

~Chuck

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I'm happy with verizon, I had a bad experience with the local phone company. Someone needs to start a thread about verizon phone numbers so everyone can know who is "in".Gotta love no minute fees for other verizon customers.
Alan

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I have nextel and I have never had a problem... I pay 40 a month for 500 min/month plus free nights and weekends... and unlimited dirrect connect in the new england region...

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
I have Sprint for my personal cell. All I have to say about Sprint is customer service sucks. The plans are not to bad. For work I have Verizon. The prices are fair and service is good. The only problem I have with the Verizon phone is you need to call and upgrade the phone every few weeks.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
CaliHwyPatrol said:
According to Consumer Reports, Verizon got the second lowest for total problems/customer complaints and the one below that wasn't a national carrier. Whereas Cingular/ATT wireless came in at #1 for total complaints/problems. I have them now and the plan is OK but the customer service is terrible. I'm probably going to buy out of it and go with Verizon. Just my .02.

~Chuck

Cingular was hell when I had it. I mean it worked well but the people always screwed up our bills and then never wanted to admit to it. Just complete idiots to deal with. Phone service was only okay but it was a while ago when I had it. I now have Verizon and I haven't had any problems with service or customer service. And I had them in NY, Maine, and here in LA. Only place I really didnt get service was spotty in the booneys of Maine and in the desert on my way out to California. I do get problems from the phones I always pick through Verizon but I think I just have bad choice in phones. I go there and pick one I like and I need to do more research, just like buying a car.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
I'M IN ... LOl :D

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i have verizon. only have a problem in my house(apt) its built like a bunker so its to be expected. i dont have any complaints...i just need to stop dropping my phone. Verizon offers a "new every2" after signing a 2 year contract, when you "re up" you get a 100$ credit toward a new phone.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I am stuck with AT&T/Cingular for awhile, because the plan I got, 750 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, 1000 mobile to mobile, unlimited incoming text messages, two lines, for 48 bucks, can't be touched. It was a promo deal, local (not national coverage), and was perfect for me.

I want a new phone, and probably to add data, so I would lose my plan because I would need to go as a Cingular subscriber, I was an AT&T subscriber.

I don't particularly like AT&T/Cingular, I got some 1,000+ bills the first 5 or 6 months (slowly got down to 300-400 bucks) so I had the call them (everyone in the office know on the 25 or 26th I would be using my hands free, and yelling) and get them to reverse them. The coverage in my area is pretty good though, and in the areas I travel, and they are all "local" to me, no roaming, so I don't need to lose 150 minutes to get a national plan.

I had Verizon, and I liked it, I had to call them once in 3 years, and that was to get my default voicemail password. I spent probably 60-70 hours with AT&T with customer service.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The only problem I have with the Verizon phone is you need to call and upgrade the phone every few weeks.
your supposed to do that with sprint too except you have to take it in to one of their stores to do it (used to have sprint but the coverage sucked). it doesnt cost any air time to use that feature and makes your phone better.

·
Registered
974 Posts
what do you mean call to upgrade the phone every few weeks? I have sprint and have never done this?? My coverage is great and customer service has been great too. I always have service where my friends with cingular and nextell never do. Anyway so what's the deal with the calling for upgrades?

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
I've got Alltel and have had no problems with them. Got the National Freedom plan (middle plan) with 900 daytime minutes, unlimited night and weekends, free incoming txt messages (and I think it's a dime to send them) and some pretty good coverage. My bill is usually right around $65-70 per month.

-Melon

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
I've had a Nextel for about six years.

Not one complaint. My parents have been with them for just a couple years, and they don't have any complaints either. (That says a lot..) :D

I'm not just saying that because I worked for them, either.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Free incoming from nextell is awesome! I've used about 1000 min a month and actually only touched 100 of my contracted anytime minutes.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
I'm with Verizon, and I've never had any problems (aside from this craptastic Audivox phone I've got right now). Service has always been good for me, aside when I'm out in the middle of nowhere (and I mean the MIDDLE of nowhere). I only use around 150 of my plans minutes every month, simply because of the In plan

My friends got Nextel and it's okay, a little sketchy on service in some regions, but not a bad company

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hey J, I had TMobile man and to tell you the truth I hated it VERY much, their service suckes @ss, their signal too and not to mention their customer service, they just pissed me off big time. So I made the move and Im IN :D Im been really happy with Verizon man, no problems so far. I was thinking of getting nextel also, but change my mind. If you plan on getting Verizon, make sure you get the National Cover Plan and not just your local, you get signal everywere you go.

Israel

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
ok, im in NY now and all the places i could never get coverage with my sprint plan i get excellent coverage with verizon. im going to california in september too so i'll see how it is out there, im expecting it to be good. so there you have it, another vote for verizon.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a verizion...I dont remember the exact deal, my parents got it for me a year ago, and I jsut reciently started paying for it. I have 1000 minutes, night/weekends thing, unlimited incomming txt msg's 500 out going text msg's plus some other random stuff. my phone bill is usually 80 or so bux a month. My contract runs out in feb of 2006 I believe.

Only issue I have w/ verizion is they are always adding in BS charges all the time, I usually use 8-900 minutes each month(including the "free nights/weekends thing" and it usually shows up near 2000 for some reason, so i gotta hand them my phone for them to check every time i pay for it and they blame it on "faulty billing machines" they remind me of bellsouth w/ our home phone, we randomly have 37 minute charges to random countries and cities on teh other side of the U.S.......they also blame it on "database errors, and faulty billing scripts" Owell...I jsut gotta argue w/ the 40 yearold lady behind the counter for 30 mins then I get my bill straightened out..its all good :)

Atleast i dont have this problem w/ the people at State Farm for both of my car insurance bills each month.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
GSM is the way to go. I have AT&T/ Cingular. It is an old AT&T plan, 900 minutes, over 2 phones for 49.99. TMobile is what I reccomend. If you have a sim chip in your phone (i.e. GSM) then all you have to do to swap your phone is buy a new one and swap sim chips. I got my second Nokia 6820 for $100 off of Amazon. There is no need to get a new plan or even call. Your phone book will move too, if you save it to the sim chip. GSM is like your V8 MN12, while CDMA is like your 99 Cougar. GSM not only offers really good phone service, but new EDGE GRPS modems included in the phones offer near DSL speed downloads. My phone is unlocked, therefore usable with any GSM carrier, in any country except Japan (triband phone, I dont have the modem for Japan), but there are Quad band phones that will work anywhere in the world. To top it off, from what I understand, the US has pretty much said that all phones will be GSM by 2007 or 2008.

btw, I reccomend TMobile.

--Craig

1 - 20 of 20 Posts