TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any mufflers that would pretty much replace the stock mufflers on a 97 4.6 with little to no modification that will give a nice throaty sound? My plan was to redo the whole exhaust, but I'm on a wife-imposed budget now. :( I have to get a deeper sound and on the cheap!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I hacked my mufflers off and it sounded ok at idle but it did drone real bad.I put on some Edelbrock cat back with 2.5 inch mandral bent piping and I deleted the resonator and it sounds really good.Can't tell ya how much they cost because I got the Exhaust for free.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i cut off my stock muff;ers and had tips put on in their place and got rid of the resognator and knocked all the honeycomb outa the third cat and i still dont think it's that loud to me. the only time it's really loud and kinda annoying is when i have no music on and i have like a headache or something

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
i cut off my stock muff;ers and had tips put on in their place and got rid of the resognator and knocked all the honeycomb outa the third cat and i still dont think it's that loud to me. the only time it's really loud and kinda annoying is when i have no music on and i have like a headache or something
i second this, my 94 has stock 3 cats and straight pipes, not annoying to me...

·
Registered
483 Posts
i have dynomax turbo's in the stock location with larger tips ...can't remember the size ithink there 2 1/4 it cost me less than 200 bucks. has a nice rumble but not too loud under normal throttle. get on it and it sounds good to me. also DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT HACK THEM OFF AND GO WITH NOTHIN. did it myself on a whim, and at first it was like holy that's sweet.... but that quickly wore off.there are so many choices check out ebay.GL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anybody tried replacing the mufflers with a little bit of piping, then resonator tips?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Why do people never hear of IMCO performance? Oh yeah, they only sell to wholesalers. They make decent turbo muffs with a 2.25 inner tube. Call your local muffler shop and see if they have some IMCO turbos. Just about every muffler shop here stocks them. They have double the lifespan of a Dynomax. They should also be about 1/4 the price.

I know they distribute nationwide but might miss a few states. The IMCO stuff dominates in OKC. Every muffler shop at least sells their straight pipe.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Are there any mufflers that would pretty much replace the stock mufflers on a 97 4.6 with little to no modification that will give a nice throaty sound? My plan was to redo the whole exhaust, but I'm on a wife-imposed budget now. :( I have to get a deeper sound and on the cheap!
I went Flows in the stock location, but after 2 years im wishing i had gone Magnaflow.

After my blower goes on, im going to be running 2.5" duals from the headers back with a magnaflow midmount, or im gonna run a regular X and then get 2 borla flow thrus mid mounted.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Right now I’m running no mufflers and it’s really not bad at all. Mines a 1995 though so it has the resonator. I think 96-97 don’t have a resonators? Not really sure on that.

I guess it depends on what you consider bad resonance. It has a low rumble, but to me its def not annoying at all. My experience has been if the exhaust exits outside of the car (unlike dumps etc.) it’s really not bad. Then again I like loud exhausts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine is also muffler-less AND I removed the resonator. I ran 3" x 18" chrome tips out the back and it sounds like a normal dual exhaust with turbo mufflers.

It's actually quieter than what I wanted...

I did the same thing my crown vic, but since it has factory true dual exhaust, it was much louder.

The muffler shop said that when I want to run a true dual exhaust to just go home and cut off the 3rd cat and bring the car in and they wil fix me up.

Wish I would have known that before they got the other work done.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
well dont get the dynomax STs, i honestly couldnt tell a difference. After i installed the catback i was pretty dissapointed. Its all rusted out now, so im gonna try something different when i get the money for it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
two flowmaster 40 series midmounted. h-piped right before the axle. duals out the back... thats what my gf's gt has.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Magnaflow #11132 will replace the original mufflers easily. It's a 3.5"x7" case that's 11" long,and has a 2"-2.25" in/out.
JL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.