TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends mom got served papers today for a lawsuit. It stated that a guy was driving her(my gf's mom) car and he(scumbag) caused a serious accident. He told the cops that he was given permission by the owner to drive it. The kicker is that my gf's mom hasnt owned a car in 2 years. The last car she owned got repo'ed and I have her credit report that shows it. What should she do? The only thing I can think of is some scumbag came over to this country and got a fake id and bought a car from a buy here pay now place and used her info. How can I find out if she still has a car in her name?

Please let me know if you can help!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Not sure how that would work with the local DMV, but a plate check could tell you about the registration. The paperwork for the repo should clear her easily. I'm not a lawyer by any stretch, but I went through a similar situation when I was deployed and a vehicle in my name was "borrowed" from someone I had loaned it to.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only problem is we dont know what car or plate it is. I can't find a way to look up a name online to see what cars are titled in her name.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Only problem is we dont know what car or plate it is. I can't find a way to look up a name online to see what cars are titled in her name.
Not a lawyer but I would contact the police immediately about something like this. There has to be an accident report and the cops will have the plate info, etc. They will also haul that moron in for questioning. I bet he didn't even have insurance.

I doubt you can find plate numbers online.

Did your g/fs mom move recently? They usually send the title to the registered owner.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has lived in the same place for 25 years but if the person gave a different address when they got the car wouldnt it just go to that place?

I told her to call the police and see what they can help with but her husband is going to call a lawyer Monday. He is stubborn.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Even the lawyer will get a copy of the accident report, but if you or she can get it early, it will save the cost of the lawyer doing it. Having a lawyer in this will be a good thing since there is likely more than just car in her name with this moron. Please keep us posted as to the hoops that she will have to jump through to clear this up; this could happen to any of us.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also checked Harris County public records to see if there was any warrants for her from the scumbag. No warrants but I dont know about tickets that are pending.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She never had the title since she was still paying for it. It repo'ed and the finance company got it back. Im sure the car wasn't the same car she had. There is a flea market here in Houston where every mexican knows you can go and buy a drivers license or social. Hell it was even on the news.

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
She should hire a lawyer, I.D. theft, it sounds like.
:zwthstpd:

Contact the local police explain what happened and file a report on the I.D. theft. They should be able to help her without her having to get a lawyer.

If she can't afford a lawyer ask to speak with a Public defender lawyer. She's entitled, ask that chick named Miranda. She'll tell ya!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
:zwthstpd:

Contact the local police explain what happened and file a report on the I.D. theft. They should be able to help her without her having to get a lawyer.

If she can't afford a lawyer ask to speak with a Public defender lawyer. She's entitled, ask that chick named Miranda. She'll tell ya!

actually, it was a dude...some beaner, ironically. Ernesto Miranda!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts