TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I used the generator that Brad posted to see what it would look like on a Cougar, not a bird, and I like it!
I know this isn't a TBird, and isn't a real picture, but I like the looks!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They definitely look good on a Cougar! I did a cheesy little photoshop to see what they'd look like on my car:

That's the chrome ones but I think I prefer the machined face with the black painted insides like these:

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Those aren't bad at all.. I wouldn't mind coming up with a set of those.... if they were available in the 'Bird's bolt pattern.

-Melon

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
PJ 4.2L Had some at one time on his mint green colored 'Bird. Looks nice.

-Joel

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sadly I think they look better in that picture then they would in person. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I do the hub swap, what size tires would be recommended? The specs on the wheels are: 18" x 9", +26mm offset (6.11 backspace). I just want to make sure that I won't run into any fitment issues. These will be going on my 97 LX. With that offset, will the wheel stick out more from the fender well or be more sunk-in to the fender well? I need to read up on offsets.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,337 Posts
i'm on the fence on how those would look in person. that wheel design doesnt really fit the style of these cars, since they are a throwback of the old magnum 500 they seem more fitting to a more retro car(like the newer mustangs). they really dont seem fitting to the more modern "aero" look thunderbirds have.... just my $0.02;)

...but looking at the photoshop pic they look pretty sweet on it, so i'm undecided

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They were designed with the old Magnum 500s as inspiration, but the look is much more modern (especially the all-chrome ones). The '03 Mach 1 Stang looks a lot more aero than my '97 Bird does. I think so anyway.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
When I do the hub swap, what size tires would be recommended? The specs on the wheels are: 18" x 9", +26mm offset (6.11 backspace). I just want to make sure that I won't run into any fitment issues. These will be going on my 97 LX. With that offset, will the wheel stick out more from the fender well or be more sunk-in to the fender well? I need to read up on offsets.

A +26mm 9" wheel is going to stick out of the fenders more. You're probly going to have rubbing issues in the front and rear on the fenders if lowered. Airbags can help in the rear. The optimal offset for the front on a 9" rim is about 36mm. Some people get away with it, but it's a game of chance for sure. The rears are a little more accepting. I would go with a 245-45-18 or a 255-45-18 for those wheels, with a 275-40-18 or 285-40-18 in the rear if you wanted staggered.

-Joel

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apparently someone used to but they stopped manufacturing them due to poor sales. The hub swap is simple enough though. I'm just worrying about having any rubbing issues after I drop the car 1.5". (18" x 9", +26mm offset is the specs of the rim).

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
What size tire?

-Joel

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
It's possible, but I'd do airbags in the back for sure. For a 9" rim you want to try about a +36mm wheel. I'll do some searching for you and see wha I can find, you would think they'd have them in '05 spec which will be a lot closer to what you should be running.

-Joel

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts