TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CEL is on in my '94 4.6 Bird and before I do the usual tune-up I thought I'd have AutoZone plug the diag. tool up and see what codes show. Well, the guy behind the counter said he could only diagnose '96 and newer models. I tried to explain to him that from '94-'97 nothing really changed so he should still be able to pull the codes. This guy wasn't having any of it. He just repeated over and over, "96 and newer, 96 and newer." I can almost guarantee if I would have told him it was a '96 he would have said " '97 and newer only". So basically, was this guy legit or was he just too damn lazy to walk outside and check the codes?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Tell him it is obdII. If he still doesn't do it then make him a bet and see if you can make some money.
It wasn't untill 96 that all cars had to be OBDII and thats why he is stuck on that year, go teach him something new.

·
Registered
890 Posts
For 98% of the cars, they didn't have OBDII until 96. Standard Autozone answer is they can only do it for 96 and newer cars. He just didn't know any better. Go in and talk to someone else, and tell them your car is a 96, they should do it for you. No use arguing with them about it.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
He was right, **only to a certain extent**. OBD-II is late '95, but standard on '96 and later. But like I said, there are some exceptions. You would have to check your engine code to be 100% sure.

But I agree with the above gentleman.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. I'm gonna take it to a different AutoZone and tell them it's a '96. Where is the eec located at?

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Should be under the glove box passenger side I think.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yeah they gave me the same crap about 96 and newer. Just tell them it's a 98 and see if they know any better. I eventually broke down and bought this at the local store on sale for $30. I think it is money well invested since I no longer have to deal with those fools.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I almost got one last night at wal mart.. but it was $120...

·
Registered
799 Posts
they told me the same thing about mine, so i walked the guy outside and showed him he was cool then.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I absolutely hate auto zone! The guys that work there think cause they work at an auto store they know everything. And act like jerks about it when you try to tell them they may be wrong. My last run in in that place I vowed never to go back. I stick to the Advance Auto parts down they road. I dont know what the differnece is in the employees but they are much nicer and more helpful and above all willing to listen. Maybe that is company policy, to never argue with the customer, listen and find a solution.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Advance Auto here, I dislike Ricer Zone.

Advance Auto has better companys too (BOSCH, etc).

- Pelezo

·
Registered
627 Posts
Had that discussion only once. Bought my own scanner and don't have to worry about it anymore. Aside from that I pick and choose between them and advance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah lot of the Auto places round here look at you like you stupid when you trying to describe something and they come up with an answer but you know its not it. I lost my power steering cap on my 96 4.6L went to three auto places and none of them had the right part they all tried to sale me the goofy one you can find on the rack with all the other little parts for old cars.

The other thing I wanted to get was a power steering filter I know they didnt come on these cars and this guy was a real jerk he check the Computer there and aske what car and all that snazz then he said they didnt come with that filter, I said duh I know!! but do you have in line power steering filters, he said yes but not for your application I was said BS!! and left

But Ocasionally there are some nice fellas that know there stuff few and far between unfortunatly.
I dont go unless I know what Im after and say this is what I want and demand it but I agree they are there to help not there to get flusterd and argue with for all day and night about applications and non sense.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Lionbacker said:
You can get a code reader for OBDII from Harbor Freight for about $49 or on sale very frequently for $39.
Exact same one I posted above, only I got mine for $29 awhile back :D

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Maybe it's just here in MI but I never had trouble with Auto Zone. The one guy that I talk to actually stole a light out of one of there sunpro gauges and just gave it to me.

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Advance told me the same thing for my 94, I told him "look, I put this engine in my car myself, don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about"...he said "but sir, it isn't OBD-II", I said...trust me young one (kid was like 19)...he said "Ok, we'll try it"...and POOF, it worked...He then went in and told everyone that 94+ tbirds are all OBD-II...:rofl: and then he thanked me for teaching him...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts