TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i noticed something and was wondering if anyone knows why this happens...

A laser light:

If you shine a light produced by a laser onto a dark object, the light isnt bright, because the dark colors absorb light, a white object giving the brightest look to the laser light because it reflects the light.

well.... why is it that if you shine a laser onto a object at one point on that object, it is a certain brightness, but if you shine it onto a shadow that is cast onto that same object the light brightness stays the same? shouldnt it be less bright since the shadow is darker??

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Crack kills.

-Joel

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts

A laser light:

If you shine a light produced by a laser onto a dark object, the light isnt bright, because the dark colors absorb light, a white object giving the brightest look to the laser light because it reflects the light.

well.... why is it that if you shine a laser onto a object at one point on that object, it is a certain brightness, but if you shine it onto a shadow that is cast onto that same object the light brightness stays the same? shouldnt it be less bright since the shadow is darker??

No, because the material (object) your shining the light onto has the same reflective properties regardless of weather it's in the dark (shaded) or in an unshaded area of the material/object.

This is assuming the object surface is uniform across and there is no change in the angle of incidence across the material.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
No, because the material (object) your shining the light onto has the same reflective properties regardless of weather it's in the dark (shaded) or in an unshaded area of the material/object.

This is assuming the object surface is uniform across and there is no change in the angle of incidence across the material.
yup, you pretty much got it bud :thumbsup:

oh, and the days that philosophers could expand on man's understanding of light have looonng come and gone :zbeer:

·
Registered
859 Posts
this one wasnt nearly as confusing/interesting as the one about the "light source moving at the speed of light" thread :)
That one was pretty cool. I just did a little searching on the net, and found that it has been proven experimentally that the speed of light in a vaccum is constant and neither the velocity of the light source nor the velocity of the observer has any effect on the apparent speed of light.

With regards to the laser pointer question, it does not matter if the dot from the pointer is in shadows or on a brightly light surface, nor does it matter what the surface is composed of. My cat percieves the dot the same way. As a toy.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
That one was pretty cool. I just did a little searching on the net, and found that it has been proven experimentally that the speed of light in a vaccum is constant and neither the velocity of the light source nor the velocity of the observer has any effect on the apparent speed of light.
yup, thats what I argued over in the other thread :)

nor does it matter what the surface is composed of.
where did you read this?

·
Registered
410 Posts

With regards to the laser pointer question, it does not matter if the dot from the pointer is in shadows or on a brightly light surface, nor does it matter what the surface is composed of. My cat percieves the dot the same way. As a toy.
uhhhh, what????

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
what does a philosopher have to do with lasers?
Putting on my vaunted and illustrious philosophical guise, I find many parallels of perfunctory perception that illuminate abundant tangentially sympathetic coherence allowing and encouraging participation to those who seek enlightenment. As a philosopher is one that may expound theories in any area of profound experience. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts