TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking around for a newer car with the ride and power of the 'Bird. The 95 and up Lincoln Continentals look to be a really nice car. 4.6L DOHC with 260 horses @ 5750 and 265 tq @ 4750. And front wheel drive so the fiance' can handle driving it in the winter. I know, I know, torque steer sucks. But imagine the looks on ricer's faces when a 4-door Lincoln goes flyin' by!

I can't really find anything about performance mods, etc. Could Fordchip or others make a chip for it? What about the tranny? That's a lot of horses for a transaxle...

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Continental, thanks...

·
Registered
142 Posts
My parents have a 1998 Continental and for such a heavy car, yes it does haul a$$. It has about 45k on it right now, with nothing but regular maintenance put into it. Only one complaint about that car-- FWD. The torquesteer can get annoying when changing lanes on the highway. It really doesn't seem much better than the Bird in the winter, but than again I am more used to the T-bird.

But imagine the looks on ricer's faces when a 4-door Lincoln goes flyin' by!
I cant get enough of that.:uppoint:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
93tbird302 said:
Only one complaint about that car-- FWD. The torquesteer can get annoying when changing lanes on the highway.

I cant get enough of that.:uppoint:
Yep, the local rice would fill their pants if an old granny Lincoln passed them by. :rolleyes:

I don't even like the torque steer of my fiance's Taurus, so I imagine another 100+ horsepower wouldn't make it any better. I can live with the torque steer as long as the car holds up to some abuse and can kick some ***.

My biggest concern is the transmission - I know the FWD autos in the Tauruses are pretty crappy (at least the older ones) and I'm wondering if the Continental tranny can handle the power.

BTW - how does that DOHC V8 look under the hood? It's gotta be crowded :eek:

·
Registered
142 Posts
My biggest concern is the transmission - I know the FWD autos in the Tauruses are pretty crappy (at least the older ones) and I'm wondering if the Continental tranny can handle the power.
I'm not sure which tranny the continental has, but it shifts a whole lot smoother than a taurus. It is also much more responsive than the Bird. As soon as you gun it, it shoots up into the powerband immediately. I'd be more worried about the air suspension if I were you. It's tough to find info about reliability, b/c ford did not sell many continentals.

As far as the computer chips are concerned this was the about the only thing my dad could find for the continental.
Superchips He was trying to get rid of that 117mph speed limiter.
BTW - how does that DOHC V8 look under the hood? It's gotta be crowded
It is pretty crowded under there. I'll get a pic tommorow when it's light out.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I would suggest getting a 1996 or newer. Even though Lincoln did change the air ride system, the ones in 1995 still sucked. They finaily got it right in 1996.

Thomas

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
93tbird302 said:

It's tough to find info about reliability, b/c ford did not sell many continentals.

As far as the computer chips are concerned this was the about the only thing my dad could find for the continental.
Superchips He was trying to get rid of that 117mph speed limiter.
Sadly, Lincoln has dropped the Continental for 03. Sales were down 24% in 99, 15% in 00, and 15% again in 01. The Continental name will probably come back in a few years as something like the MK IX concept. At least that is what I read.

Maybe fordchip or others could reflash the superchips, dunno. Just looking at options for the next road car - the Tbird is getting too far along for me to take on long trips, the exhaust is too loud for all day stuff :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well according to this website, Lincoln may be planning for the '04 towncar to compete with such cars.
'04 lincoln towncar

Near the bottom of the page it reads:

There are big plans afoot for Lincoln. Along with a general upgrading of all models is a project within Ford's Premier Automotive Group, of which Lincoln is a critical part, to create a real street superiority for the Town Car. This vehicle will offer a high-performance 6.8-liter V12 instead of the current 4.6-liter V8. Special ornamentation will set the V12 apart from more mundane Town Cars, and you can bet a stretched-wheelbase version is part of the program.
It's about time they considered something like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts