TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search, and did not find anything specifically talking about the Tranny cooler install regarding going through the radiator, then external cooler or just using an external cooler. I've read on some sites that recommend using an external cooler only and bypassing the radiator cooler, which is the way mine is hooked up now. I've run that way since 60k or so, now at 145k.

I have some leakage at the cooler rubber lines where they connect to the hard lines, so I was wondering if I should replumb into the radiator, and cut the return line to go through the cooler when I try to fix the leak. I should add that this is a Southern (AL/TN) car. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I think going through the radiator does two things... one it helps to cool the fluid (lol duh).. But the other thing is this. When the car is cold, the engine coolant going through the radiator will help to warm the tranny fluid up to operating temperature while you warm up the car. This might not make a big difference to those down south, but here in KS it can make a big difference. Not good to overheat the tranny, but equally not good to run it too cold too long.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
But the other thing is this. When the car is cold, the engine coolant going through the radiator will help to warm the tranny fluid up to operating temperature while you warm up the car....
I can vouch for that somewhat, since it's pretty Brrrr!! right now where I live.
I've noticed that in the colder months that the RPMs is a bit higher in OD than normal when I'm driving at a steady speed. Once the temp. gauge moves, and after the next stoplight/sign, the RPMs fall back to where it would normally be @ for the given speed. Probably won't affect you like that down South there, but I think it's a good idea anyway to plumb the external tranny cooler through the trans cooler in auto-trans versions of radiators.

Make sure you flush that sucker real good though before plumbing it inline; they tend to accumulate crap and debris....then send it on through to the trans where it is pretty unwelcome.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I am using only an External cooler, but that is because the Cobra radiator I am using does not have a cooler built in. If it were in there, I would use the radiator inline before the cooler as well to help warm the fluid and keep it at a regulated temperature.

As for leaking at the hardline to rubber line .. you may want to Flare the hardline a little with a brake tool before you slip the rubber line and tie down the hose clamps.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
As for leaking at the hardline to rubber line .. you may want to Flare the hardline a little with a brake tool before you slip the rubber line and tie down the hose clamps.
The next to best solution is a compression fitting adapter to NPT on the hard-line and a NPT hose barb adapter.

The best solution is a custom-made braided flex line with swivel fittings replacing the entire hard-line..

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Running a tru-cool max 40k gvw cooler I by passed the rad. for simplicity sake. The trans lines are cut and flared at the end where the rubber line is clamped.

I like the steel braided flex line idea. Pretty much my set up works for me now so buying new more permanent lines is just "blowing cash."

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have my tranny cooler on the return side of the radiator. So my fluid goes through the radiator, through the cooler and back to the tranny.

It is JMO that not going through the radiator is a bad idea. It seems like it would be okay if you are constantly going, but you risk overheating if you are sitting in traffic for a while.

If you are sitting in traffic, eventually the tranny fluid will get hotter and hotter even though it is going through the cooler. The radiator will at least help that fluid from going over a certain temp.

Its moreless like running your car without a thermostat. Yes, some cars did have stand alone tranny coolers designed for that purpose w/o going through the radiator, Im talking about your smaller aftermarket coolers that most people buy........JMO guys.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
I have my tranny cooler on the return side of the radiator. So my fluid goes through the radiator, through the cooler and back to the tranny.

It is JMO that not going through the radiator is a bad idea. It seems like it would be okay if you are constantly going, but you risk overheating if you are sitting in traffic for a while.

If you are sitting in traffic, eventually the tranny fluid will get hotter and hotter even though it is going through the cooler. The radiator will at least help that fluid from going over a certain temp.

Its moreless like running your car without a thermostat. Yes, some cars did have stand alone tranny coolers designed for that purpose w/o going through the radiator, Im talking about your smaller aftermarket coolers that most people buy........JMO guys.
Your opinion is wrong. "My" car's transmission temperature does not get 'hotter and hotter'. As a matter of fact, if I have been pushing the car hard, sitting in traffic actually cools the tranny.

The added benefit of bypassing the radiator is removing the transmission heat load from the radiator and improving the cooling system efficiency.

The myth of the radiator "heating up" the fluid is hogwash as well. It does not take long for the transmission to warm up on it's own - it doesn't need help from the radiator. Now maybe if your car is a daily driver is Siberia, that would be different but I doubt many here drive their car daily in sub zero weather.

The temperature control valve sold with the 40K cooler is not needed either. But I'm sure there are many who believe it is entirely necessary.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The warm up programing that keeps the converter unlocked to heat the fluid shuts off when it his 60 degrees or so... so I don't think too cold is an issue...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the thread, I'm encouraged that mine isn't the only "external cooler only" setup. I will most likely leave mine that way since the radiator lines have been out of the loop for so long.

Driller, is that a temp sensor you have in line for the fluid temp? Seems like a good idea.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
Your trans. will never be too cold, except at startup and warm up.
Use both if it not too much trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Driller, is that a temp sensor you have in line for the fluid temp? Seems like a good idea.
Yes it is a temp sensor for the tranny. It is not only a good idea, I believe it is an absolute must have item. With the radiator bypassed, you will have no idea of any overheating of the transmission for any reason.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I also run the TruCool Max 40K standalone. I first used a 24k cooler and that was not good enough to keep it cool on a summer roadtrip.

The 40k does well but in the winter it starts out at outside temp and takes a while to warm up.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well you learn something new everyday LOL. I just didn't think you could do this.

So where do you guys have these 40K's mounted? I have a cooler thats 13 x 7 1/2 x 3/4 and its mounted right in front of my AC condensor.

I just checked the dims on the 40K's and they are 8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4 inch

1 - 20 of 31 Posts