TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that the 94/95 4.6s sound good with mufflers removed. I was wondering if the 96/97 4.6L cars also sound good, since they do not have a resonator...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I removed my mufflers and resonator on my 95 and put straight pipes on.It sounds ok at first but after awhile it sounded terrible to me.Drones really bad.I've driven behind my car when my wife was driveing it and it sounded ok on take off but when it would rev past about 2k rpm's or so it would sound very high pitched to me.

Take it from me and listen to my past expierance.Buy a real exhaust.Straight pipes are a waste of money.Remove third cat,put an X pipe in its place and run true duals out the back with some good mufflers.Or go with the Mid mount Magnaflow DI/DO.Those sound good too.

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
my old 95 had the mufflers and resonator removed and just had turndown pipes under the seats, i loved it. i think it sounds great.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
musto said:
my old 95 had the mufflers and resonator removed and just had turndown pipes under the seats, i loved it. i think it sounds great.
To each there own.I'm sure many people on here will agree that the drone is terrible and not worth the effort or little bit of money you would spend to put straight pipes on,

·
Registered
974 Posts
I agree with 95lxbird. I had stock cats removed 3rd cat/resonator with 2.25" true duals, x pipe, and then 2.5" pipe run from a little before the diff to the rear which had 3" tips. It sounded okay when floored, but it got all distorted at about 2000rpm and droned like crazy at about 1500-2300. I currently am running the same 2.25" to 2.5" set up with x pipe but with Dynomax race magnums mid mounted (right after the x). And it sounds pretty good. If your looking for loud this isn't super loud but trust me it can be heard. In my opinion straight pipes are super loud but the sound just isn't refined. Good luck

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
if you do want to rip off the stock mufflers and resonator, midmount a dynomax bullet (or magnaflow, but the bullets is really cheap) and tips on it and it will sound really good. strait pipes will sound like anus.

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
yeah, there is alot of drone... exactly what theyre saying, at like 2500-3500k its bad from what i remember. if its your daily driver i would say dont do it, but if its a play car, its kind of nice every once in a while.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
ya if u want the sound of a hive of bees behind rip the mufflers off. I did that on my cougar and oh boy it sounded bad from the interior.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
yea i just get a quick video, when im home next ill try to get some more...it's the cheapest way to get a decent sound to me

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
true duals offroad with standard exhaust shop turbo mufflers sounded good. The mufflers were mounted were the fuel tank use to be and turndowns

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
ur 5.0 sounds similar to my 4.6?? that would not sit well with me lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
when i took mine off i loved it, along with the gutted 3rd cat and strait pipe to replace the resonator. now i cant stand it, its emberassing. i cant wait to have my exhaust redone the right way

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my `95 Police Interceptor, I had the mufflers replaced with straight pipe and it sounded excellent; like a 289 with glasspacks.

Of course, the P71 has the mufflers midway under the car and not under the trunk, like my Cougar.

I'm going to have my mufflers replaced with straight pipes tomorrow, but retain the resonator.

If I don't like it, then I'll remove the resonator and replace the straight pipes with Flowmasters.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I'd use Maganflows over the Flowmasters. Better flow, and IMHO, a better sound on the 4.6.

Just my .02

Jay

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
When i did the exhaust on my 95, i ran 2" duals from the front cats all the way back, while i was waiting for some tubing to be bent to re-attach my Flowmaster's, i drove it like that and it sounded terrible. It sounded cool at idle but everywhere else it sounded like an old truck with straight pipe and no cross-over.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I plan on getting a proper exhaust pretty soon. My stock mufflers were rusted anyway, so I went ahead and hacked the mufflers off. Its actually not as loud as I thought it'd be. All three cats are still intact. The exhaust is totally stock except for straight pipes in place of the stock mufflers. Cost: less than $25 (including 18-inch pipes, clamps and cheapo tips). For video click here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts