TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to the junkyard tomorrow afternoon to remove a front cover from a 94-95 4.6 that I need for my explorer motor swap. I already have the crank removal tool, are there any other special tools I may need for the job? Will I need to completely remove the valve covers or just the two bolts that bolt through the valve covers to the front cover? Any tips to speed up the process? Thanks in advance.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
If the motor is in the car it won't be fun because the power stearing pump will need to be removed because it bolts to the cover/block (That's if it's still installed). Air would be nice to get the crank bolt started but you can Jam the motor and use breaker bar to loosen a sticky crank bolt. A battery powered drill (if outside) is a good way to speed things up after you break the Front cover bolts loose. I like to do the power stearing pump's bolt from hell from underneeth the car. I unclip the high pressure hose brace (small bolt) and twist the EVO sensor on the PS pump out of the way to gain access to one of the four 10mm bolts that hold the PS pump to the motor. I normally break them all loose and remove the three easy ones first then while holding the pump I use the closed end of a small 10mm wrench on the last one.

-Scott

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the motor is still in the car, hopfully I'll be able to get them to lift the front of the car for me since it's basically sitting on the frame right now. Thanks for the info Scott...looks like I will be having some fun tomorrow in the South Florida heat :ztoohot:

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got my front cover :D You weren’t kidding about those PS pump bolts being a PITA…seemed like that last bolt was a mile long. Should be able to start the swap tomorrow, wish me luck and thanks again for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts