TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What may be some simple or obvious upgrades? Everything under my 95 Bird is all Mark 8 from front to back. I'm workin on getting the money for the rear spring perches. I have the Eibach Pro kit springs on ti now. What would be some other things I could do to stiffen this thing up some more and make it handle better? Thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone make strut tower braces I guess for Mark 8's? I have a 97 Mark motor in my Bird.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Nope if you want one you would have to make one.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Bigger sway bars, Koni shocks, and Delrin knuckle bushings (search for member DLF).
Has anyone done a handling comparison between the Delrin bushings, the spherical bearings, and the stock ones?

I heard duffy floyd talk about the compliance in the stock ford bushings being important to steering geometry... AFAICR, all the bushings on the knuckle are the same on the sc. The fronts are different.

Anyone have actual data on any of the above options, besides "They feel better"? :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Has anyone done a handling comparison between the Delrin bushings, the spherical bearings, and the stock ones?

I heard duffy floyd talk about the compliance in the stock ford bushings being important to steering geometry... AFAICR, all the bushings on the knuckle are the same on the sc. The fronts are different.

Anyone have actual data on any of the above options, besides "They feel better"? :)
This comment is from one of the guys on SCCoA who autocrosses his SC:

"The (Delrin) rear LCA bushings are fantastic. I had no wheel hop at all and the handling at the rear was very predictable, especially on ancient, worn-out tires. You all need to order these."

You can read more in THIS thread on SCCoA.

And I've documented my improvements in 60' times.

"A little history....

I've run my SC with both 3.27 and 3.08 gears, using Nitto, BFG, and now MT DR's. I've made over 300 passes since 2000.

In all that time, I've had 3 sub 1.9 second 60's: 1.882, 1.856, and 1.879.

To be fair, in addition to the delrin bushings, I changed out my good Trac-Lok and 3.08's for a Torsen T-2 with 3.55 gears.

Tonight @ Englishtown, I made 5 runs, launching @ ~3.5K (except for the second pass when I tried a 4K launch - NG).

Here are my 60' times:

1.958 (4K launch - too much)

It was an import vs domestic showdown, and there were 8 oil-downs, so it was a long day, and the track wasn't particularily good.

But, even with less than ideal weather and track conditions, I had my 4 best 60' times ever, and they were very consistent.

I'm quite pleased.

My best E.T. was 13.185 (on the brakes) during an elimination round. I'm quite sure that with even decent conditions, I can get into the 12's with my 3,960 lb (weighed today) street car."

Since then I've had a new best 60' of 1.742 on the same DR's.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Handling and 60' times are usually not the same thing...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Handling and 60' times are usually not the same thing...
Why not?

More precise positioning of the control arms and knuckles will improve both 60's and handling. Less bushing deflection improves both quite a bit.

What suffers a bit is comfort via an increase in NVH.

As he posted, the driver who regularly autocrosses his SC believes in them, and I know that they've improved my times at the drag strip.

Many IRS Cobra owners have improved both handling and 1/4 mile times using Delrin bushings, as have I, but no one was making them for the MN-12/FN-10 platform, so I did.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I am not trying to knock your bushings, I will probably buy a set or two.

I was looking for people who have tried the alternatives.

Spherical bearings; has anyone actually used them?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definatly going to replace some bushings. Was curious if there were any bars made wether it be for the LCA's or strut tower to reduce body roll. I'm very interested in your spring perches "DLF". As soon as these darn bills would stop popping up I plan on getting some from you. That and when work picks back up. Will they raise the back of the car up any? I have the Eibach Pro kit on it and it seems to sit lower since the springs are just sitting in the bowls. Not liking it. Thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Definatly going to replace some bushings. Was curious if there were any bars made wether it be for the LCA's or strut tower to reduce body roll. I'm very interested in your spring perches "DLF". As soon as these darn bills would stop popping up I plan on getting some from you. That and when work picks back up. Will they raise the back of the car up any? I have the Eibach Pro kit on it and it seems to sit lower since the springs are just sitting in the bowls. Not liking it. Thanks.
The UHMW Perches will raise the back end about 1/2" with the standard base, but I can make adjustments if you need something different.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Why not?

More precise positioning of the control arms and knuckles will improve both 60's and handling. Less bushing deflection improves both quite a bit.
They are a great upgrade. I don't due 60' times.
Just really hard left turns. Must of taken at least a second of my times.

I am going to get A set of rear K bushing in the off season.
they will great with my Derlin, rear lower control & Knuckle bushings.

Paul :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts