TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any truth to this that you can swap a ford mustang rear end to a thunderbird as easy as just bolt in

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
is there any truth to this that you can swap a ford mustang rear end to a thunderbird as easy as just bolt in
Only the Cobra IRS, for certain values of "just bolt in".

And why? On a 5.0HO, until you're pushing power levels that'll split blocks routinely, the 28 spline should be quite adequate. About all the Cobra gets you is 31 spline. Which changing the spline count would also call for new half shafts ...

RwP

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've also wondered if I would be able to swap the solid axle from my mustang into my tbird but I've been told the axle tubes aren't long enough and mounting the rear end is different?

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
I've also wondered if I would be able to swap the solid axle from my mustang into my tbird but I've been told the axle tubes aren't long enough and mounting the rear end is different?
Just a bit, 97Tturd.

I have a really silly question.

If what you want is a Mustang, why not buy a Mustang?

RwP

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just a bit, 97Tturd.

I have a really silly question.

If what you want is a Mustang, why not buy a Mustang?

RwP
Are you asking me about buying a mustang?

I have a 03 Mach 1 MUSTANG as well as the 97 thunderbird... :tongue:

I was just thinking one day if it would be possible to swap rear ends on the cars lol

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Are you asking me about buying a mustang?

I have a 03 Mach 1 MUSTANG as well as the 97 thunderbird... :tongue:

*images elided*

I was just thinking one day if it would be possible to swap rear ends on the cars lol
Swap?

Why?

As was suggested, best thing to do is to crawl under there and look.

I mean, you have both - why not just look?

[QUOTE="Time For The Stars" by Robert A. Heinlein]"How can you tell how many robin eggs are in a nest? Oh, we can do statistical analysis and probability studies, but sometimes the best way to tell is to climb the tree and look."[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Mustang rear end swap? Probably work as good as a Lincoln Mark VIII rear end swap into a TBird! ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Mustang rear end swap? Probably work as good as a Lincoln Mark VIII rear end swap into a TBird! ;)
You ARE aware that they're not plug and play (Mustang to MN12/FN10) like the MN12 and FN10 are, right?

RwP

·
Registered
184 Posts
:zwall:

I knew that it isn't possible to do EASILY w/o a lot of time, $, and fabrication... I was just saying i've thought about it a few times...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Well, with a cobra subframe swap, you can get IRS on the Mach 1 without worrying about making brackets. Do like I did and sell the New Edge, keep IRS in the bird and never look back. That GT I had was clean but it sucked. I did get beat by it on my bday though. It ran a best of 14.9 and I ran a 15.3 even though I beat it to the end. I was getting hella wheel spin. I cant wait to destroy this thing later with gears. Beating new edge stangs used to make me feel so good ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
We don't need to tell the moderators what they should be doing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts