TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be 21 in a little over a week. I'd like my first alcoholic beverage to be a glass of whiskey. I dont want to go crazy doing shots or anything like that. Just a nice sipping whiskey. Any tips/recommendations?

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can NEVER go wrong with Jameson Irish Whiskey. Especially mixed with ginger ale.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Don't know if its made it up your way yet but i've been quite fond of a texas spirit whiskey called Rebecca Creek, really good

·
Super Moderator
12,247 Posts
Honey Jack is pretty good. But, if I were you, I'd go for a Johnny Walker Black Label or the Crown that Rick mentioned.

Don't over do it if you're not used to drinking. Those whiskey hangovers can be a B!tch! You've got the rest of you life to sample all the different liquors don't try to do it all in one or two nights.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Whiskey Vs. Scotch Vs. Bourbon

If you were curious what the differences were.

I was on a whiskey kick a couple winters ago. Everyone will recommend something different and how it should be drunk.

I enjoyed: Gentlemen Jack and GlenLivet 12 the most. If I couldn't find either of those I would settle(happily) for Maker's Mark. A single ice cube or a splash of water is the only proper way to drink them IMO. :)

Wild Turkey was brutal to sip but as you see some will like it, not my thing.

My wife likes using honey whiskey to make Hot Totties, the season for the those is over though. I can't touch honey whiskey, too sweet and syrupy for me.

There is also Jack & Coke but that's too sweet to drink a lot of which makes Jameson and ginger ale sound like a good alternative.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
Whiskey... I buy that about once a year, once I've forgotten about the last experience.
I usually just pick up the cheapest half gallon in the store. And some ginger beer or ginger ale for mix. Back in Canada I used to buy Royal Reserve because it came with a sticker...

I like Crown Royal, but not the price tag, I think Jameson tastes good too, but I'm really not a whiskey drinker and besides I'm a cheap SOB who shops by alcohol content vs price.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Does Jack and Coke count? I'm more of a beer drinker, but every once and a while I'll change it up.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
My thoughts:
* Crown is a bit sweet; I think it works better as a crown and coke than neat.

* Jameson is a easy drinking whiskey -- even straight. This is what my friends and I take camping.

* For value bourbons, I like Bulleit. It's easy drinking like Jameson and not too expensive. Bulleit's Rye bourbon also has a good flavor.

* Maker's Mark: I remember drinking this a lot in college but their whole "we are watering down our whiskey to meet demand" and then "you need to thank us because we went back to the old proof level" was a bunch of marketing BS to me. I wasn't impressed
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whiskey-lovers-cheer-as-makers-mark-restores-proof/

* Johnny Walker: my asian relatives love this stuff. I have no idea why. It's nothing special. I personally think is the Bose of the Scotch world (big on marketing and branding)

* Jack Daniels: bourbon. Nothing special compared to Bulleit or Maker's Mark.

* Jim Beam, Evan Williams: Jack's poor relations.

* I'm personally not a fan of super "woody" or "peaty" tasting whiskeys or scotches. IMO, if I really wanted to drink something that tasted like a peat bog or wood ("laphroaig", "glenlivet", etc), I'd just go to a swamp or chew on a table. The most flavorful scotch I actually found I liked was Belvenie. The wood taste isn't overpowering and a few drops of water really opens up the flavor.

-g

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
I grew up on Jack Daniels, but I notice I seem to like the Crown a lot more now.

The Crown Reserve is wonderful; nice to sip.

I don't mix much anymore; I like to taste my liquor. :)

I seem to be trending toward things like Hennessy or some others these days. :zdunno:

I ended up doing shots of tang and Skyy vodka with an incredible girl after violent video games last weekend; I can't recommend the Tang at all, lol.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
As a drinker of Irish heritage I would also mention Jameson as a superb straight whiskey. However there are multiple vintages and they are amazing as well. Gentleman's Jack as mentioned is also good however it is technically a bourbon. Johnnie walker is good too and also comes in many flavorful vintages, I can't drink red, black is good, double black is also good, green is great, gold is better, and blue is best. In my opinion. I prefer a good aged whiskey if I'm drinking it straight. Also if you must drink it cold, no more then 2 cubes of ice, preferably a whiskey ice ball (if available).

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I just got back from Dublin 2 weeks ago and got a bottle of Jameson Irish whiskey at their factory! be jealous :D

Guinness is more my thing. And yes it's not so good here in the states but good god in Ireland it is amazing. I would have brought back a barrel of that if I could..

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
My thoughts:
* Crown is a bit sweet; I think it works better as a crown and coke than neat.

* Jameson is a easy drinking whiskey -- even straight. This is what my friends and I take camping.

* For value bourbons, I like Bulleit. It's easy drinking like Jameson and not too expensive. Bulleit's Rye bourbon also has a good flavor.

* Maker's Mark: I remember drinking this a lot in college but their whole "we are watering down our whiskey to meet demand" and then "you need to thank us because we went back to the old proof level" was a bunch of marketing BS to me. I wasn't impressed
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whiskey-lovers-cheer-as-makers-mark-restores-proof/

* Johnny Walker: my asian relatives love this stuff. I have no idea why. It's nothing special. I personally think is the Bose of the Scotch world (big on marketing and branding)

* Jack Daniels: bourbon. Nothing special compared to Bulleit or Maker's Mark.

* Jim Beam, Evan Williams: Jack's poor relations.

* I'm personally not a fan of super "woody" or "peaty" tasting whiskeys or scotches. IMO, if I really wanted to drink something that tasted like a peat bog or wood ("laphroaig", "glenlivet", etc), I'd just go to a swamp or chew on a table. The most flavorful scotch I actually found I liked was Belvenie. The wood taste isn't overpowering and a few drops of water really opens up the flavor.

-g

Crown is great if you like throwing up.

Jack is blah.

Johnny walker is OK as long as its not Red.

Jameson = delicious.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Captain Morgan... wait, you're talking about whiskey's :)

I'm not a whiskey drinker by any means, but on those rare occasions, I'll drink Jameson. I've had Bushmills a few times as well, but I like Jameson better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts