TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna see some flat black MN12's if there are any out there. I think flat black would look sick on our cars. I can get a flat black paint job including all prep work for around $700 and the place has a good reputation.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,740 Posts
How are they making it flat black? There are only 2 ways that I know of, one is to use a single stage paint with an additive to reduce the shine, and the other is to spray basecoat without clearcoat. If they are doing it the second way, stay away from it because the basecoat won't hold up to the weather and you will have to resand and reshoot your car probably once a year. If it is single stage, that is fine, but make sure you get extra paint from the same batch from them because single stage can't be blended and if you ever get into an accident, you don't want the repainted panels to be less flat than the original ones or something like that.

Mike

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
MadMikeyL said:
How are they making it flat black? There are only 2 ways that I know of, one is to use a single stage paint with an additive to reduce the shine, and the other is to spray basecoat without clearcoat. If they are doing it the second way, stay away from it because the basecoat won't hold up to the weather and you will have to resand and reshoot your car probably once a year. If it is single stage, that is fine, but make sure you get extra paint from the same batch from them because single stage can't be blended and if you ever get into an accident, you don't want the repainted panels to be less flat than the original ones or something like that.

Mike
I'm not really sure about how they would do it, I haven't personally gone there, my freind had his Monte Carlo painted there and it looks awesome.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have a partial one.....

Ok not really but you can get an idea. Check out my cardomain page and see my hood, front and bumper are covered with black sealer, which looks like flat black paint. We did this to seal the hood and keep the car from looking like a complete clown car. :D :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
The editor for car audio magazine has a flat black bird with gloss black racing stripes......if you contact him through the car audio website he might send you pics......

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
thomasron said:
The editor for car audio magazine has a flat black bird with gloss black racing stripes......if you contact him through the car audio website he might send you pics......
It wasn't CA&E, it was the editor of Street Chopper that some of the CA&E staff worked over for the guy. It was the "System on a Budget" section:

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can have flat paint in any color, the best method to use is "under hood" paint, (avail. in almost any color) which gives a light shean, if you want flatter, use flattener. I have this setup in my 56 F250, going to have it in Green on my 38 pickup, and going to do it on my Cougar when ever I get around to chopping the top. Anyone in the San Diego area have a wrecked Coug they want to sell the roof from??? This way holds up great, and doesn't soak up oil like primer does.

·
Registered
57 Posts
currently i have a forest green t bird with a flat black hood (waiting to be painted) and flat black wheels it doesnt look to bad because i have 5 % tint. ill try to get the pic for my avatar asap.

·
Registered
708 Posts
all paint manufactures sell a flat clearcoat to provide all the protection of a clear without the gloss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts