TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1995 bird to 1998 mustang....

both 3.8.

i know the mustang has coil packs. do you just swap the top piece where the distributor goes? Wiring issues?

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
Where do you live? Some states emissions laws won't allow you to install an older model engine into a newer car.

Joe

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
RodeoJoe: [sarcams]Judging by his screen name, my guess would be California :p I could be wrong though[/sarcasm]

RobinCali: There's a guy on SCCoA who put a SC engine in a Mustang (I want to say 95) His screen name is V6Sprout. He might be able to help you. I believe he also posts on Mustang boards including www.3.8mustang.com.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
90 Posts
haha, he moved back to Illinois I think :D

Why would U want an older 3.8 in there?
Selling the good motor?

·
8,239 Posts
unless the motor is free, I wouldn't bother. The 98 motor is worth rebuilding, when the 95 motor is not.

JH

·
Registered
890 Posts
that applies to V6's as well as V8's??

(What little I know about V8's dwarf's what I know about V6's)

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Basically, just pull the 98 engine out, set the two engines side by side, and swap wiring harnesses, sensors, etc. You'll likely need to reuse a few other pieces from the 98 engine, such as the upper intake. It's a very easy swap to do.

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
The vacuum ports are a little different. You should be able to use the 95 upper intake, but the 98 would make it even easier. I've done the opposite swap before, a 98 3.8L from a Mustang into a 89 Cougar.

-Rod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts