TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to replace the batteries in my wife and my's ipods. I'm definately not willing to throw 200 bucks at apple/ipod for it. Anybody have any experience with the diy websites?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My wife is a bit of a "Techy" and she says that it's impossible, you will crack your screen. The ipods must be sent in to have them changed.

Sorry bout the bad news, but I know I trust her input when it comes to anything computer related.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
There is a video on youtube that shows how to open those to change the battery.

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
There is a video on you tube that shows how to open those to change the battery.
Yea, there are several How-to videos on YouTube showing how to open the iPod and replace the battery.

Just do a search of YT and pick one out that you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
My co-worker used to work for apple, he replaces this stuff all the time, buys used ipods, iphones, ipads, and changes batterys and screens for quick money or for cheap personal electronics for himself he said the videos cover it well.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There are 30+ iPods out there, each with their own very specific things.

I have done batteries in 2g Nanos; 1G, 2G, 3G Touch, and a 5g Video (classic) and each one had its own thing that made it tough or easy.

I bought a very beat up 2G 32gig Touch for 30 bucks, replaced the LCD and the battery and for less than 50 bucks have a nice iPod. I wish it was a 3G, but I like buying broken but fixable things and doing it (if I buy new I still take it apart, this was I have a good reason to, and don't invalidate any warranty I might have hahaha).

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just did a replacement a couple days ago. It took about 15 minutes and everything went well except i got a bit of dust showing behind the display now. This was a 30gb iPod Video. I got the battery HERE.

To give you a little confidence to take this job on I'll give you my age. I'll be 77 in 3 months. :eek:

When I had it apart, I banged out a couple dents in the stainless steel back, then using a 3M Scotchbrite pad and some stainless steel cleaner, I got the stainless to look like the stainless steel on a SS kitchen appliance, kind of a satin finish. It doesn't look as good as the shiny finish it came with, but it sure looks better than the scratchy back it had before.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I just did my 80gb ipod video the other day, it was super easy. Just check out the online videos. I thought it was a bit of a daunting task at first because the seam is so tight on a virgin ipod.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Think of it this way, if you dont do it, you need a new ipod. If you break it, you need a new ipod. If you fix it. YAY!
Exactly. You can get the battery for around 5 bucks, and generally they come with whatever tool might be needed, even if it is just those plastic pry bars/spudgers.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just for some closure, first 1 took 1hr and the plastic clip for the cable broke (improvised with a plastic toothpick) second one took 10minutes and went perfect. thanks for all the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts