TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a push lawn mower with a 4.0HP briggs and stratton quattro engine...the mower is about 15 years old, and needs to be completely refurbished. I am having a hard time finding a service manual or a rebuild kit. Does anyone know anything about these? The mower itself of a 20" Murray.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'd suggest talking to a local shop about a rebuild kit.

Though they will want a model/serial number.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I have a push lawn mower with a 4.0HP briggs and stratton quattro engine...the mower is about 15 years old, and needs to be completely refurbished. I am having a hard time finding a service manual or a rebuild kit. Does anyone know anything about these? The mower itself of a 20" Murray.
Sounds like fun. Does it make noise / drip oil, etc ???

I was thinking about putting a chair on top of my mower, and set up a steering mechanism so I can drive it. :D

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like fun. Does it make noise / drip oil, etc ???

I was thinking about putting a chair on top of my mower, and set up a steering mechanism so I can drive it. :D
Actually the motor is in great shape, it it's not starting, spark plug was replaced still no spark, my plan is to make it run and then after that, get to the tear down and rebuild. The motor probably doesn't need a rebuild,i just feel like it would be a good learning experience for me.

Now that I think about it, the motor does smoke a bit, so there is some wear somewhere.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Actually the motor is in great shape, it it's not starting, spark plug was replaced still no spark, my plan is to make it run and then after that, get to the tear down and rebuild. The motor probably doesn't need a rebuild,i just feel like it would be a good learning experience for me.

Now that I think about it, the motor does smoke a bit, so there is some wear somewhere.
You probably only need to replace the ignition coil ..

·
Super Moderator
10,401 Posts
You'll be amazed at the simplicity. :D

The last one I took apart (admittedly, 70s) didn't even use rings. Can you say low compression? :rofl:

Bronze bushed everywhere, only two or 4 bearings, iirc.

Take pix; it will be interesting. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts