TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if so tell me some stuff. I am thinking about this and there are so many choices. A boxed system, buy separates, Pro logic 1 an 2 etc.

Thanks, AED V8sc

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
My brother got some used system, has it hooked to his vcr, has about 8 misc. speakers in his room, very loud, but no bass. I have a Wal-Mart cd player with rear inputs from vcr audio output. I have my 10" MTX Thdr4000 sub hooked up to it and the $20 box speakers from Wal-Mart. We live in a 150 yr. old Victorian house, and when I went downstairs, I could hear it almost anywhere. Don't have an actual surround sound system, just whatever sounds good.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Get a good component receiver and a speaker package for overall good results. For instance, check out Yamaha's receivers and a JBL speaker package. Getting the speaker packages will allow for balanced sound and tonal accuracy from all speakers.

Best for you would be to visit stores with room setups and have them demo stuff for you.

PJ

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
In my living room I have 7 KLH 6 1/2" for the center and surround, and a 200 watt powered 12" sub in the corner.. Kenwood Receiver and Cd player. Nothing super special but damn is it LOUD.

The sub can't even come close to the two 15's I used to have chillen in the corner behind the couch, but hell.. ya win some ya lose some :)

-Jes

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you want the best get a Bose surround sound system. But only if you don't mind spending a couple of thousand $$$

Preston

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yamaha pretty much makes the best receivers (except for a couple others such as harmon/kardon but theyll cost you your balls) and id go with bose for speakers but theill cost you a bunch too. Anyway, speaker positioning and intonation is A LOT more important than the speaks themselves. If you ever wondered why somebody elses speakers sound uneven when your watchign a movie with them its prob bc they pointed the speakers at themselves and you are not sitting in the middle of the room. Worry about that more than the speakers.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You mentioned Dolby Pro Logic. 1, 2 etc.. Make sure you get a component receiver that supports Dolby Digital 5.1 surround decoding. When shopping for speakers, make sure that your front left, center channel, and front right speakers are Voice Matched. Also, don't wimp out on the surround speakers since Dolby Digital sends a full frequency range (approx. 120-20,000 Hz) to the surrounds as well as fronts. For the best connection, use the fiber optic cable. I hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just like our cars, it all comes down to money.
For entry level, look for a HTIB(Home Theater In a Box) with the ability to expand later on. Bigger speakers, better DVD player, etc.
Next up, try the basic component stuff you find at Best Buy, etc. Yamaha, Sony for the box, and JBL, Yamaha, Klipsch for the speakers. Yes, Pro Logic II is something you should look for. PL-I only runs limited range sound to the rears, but with PL-II, you get full range even when watching TV, VCR, and other non-digital devices.
Next up is mid-end component, still keeping the amps in the processor, but plan on dropping 2k-4k for the beast. Plan 500-1500 or better for the DVD player and 2k or so for the speakers.
Finally, the real high-end uses full seperates. Separate amps, pre-amp/processor, DVD, etc. Figure to drop 8k-15k or better for somthing like that.
The biggest thing in ANY of these, is LISTEN TO IT FIRST! If it sounds like poo at the store, chances are it will sound like poo at home. A store that offers a money-back trial period is good, because it may sound good at the store, but more like poo at home. Also, little systems like little rooms, don't expect huge booming sound from a itty-bitty speaker(not that it can't happen). Conversely, don't go for overkill in an apartment with 2 18" subs, floor standing fronts, etc.
Just have fun with it!

Peter M

·
Registered
263 Posts
Peter M said:
The biggest thing in ANY of these, is LISTEN TO IT FIRST! If it sounds like poo at the store, chances are it will sound like poo at home. A store that offers a money-back trial period is good, because it may sound good at the store, but more like poo at home.

Peter M
If you take nothing else away from this thread, TAKE THIS!!! It all comes down to what you want, not what other peeps think. I run a Technics 100x5 receiver, Panasonic DVD changer, and Bose AM-15 speakers. It sounds better than any movie theater I have ever been in. But, my brother disagrees. Too much bass, need bigger TV, yada yada. So, go find what you like considering budget, wife/significant other, etc. Then listen and listen. Take your own DVDs and CDs to listen for what you like/want in a system.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Make sure that the DVD player has DTS play mode and recently the DVD players are made ot play burned DVD's incase you ever do that. Really, if you buy a set, the subwoofer will most likely just fill in the low end sounds but not pound. I bought my dad an RCA 12" sub from radioshack. It's better than teh cheap Sony ones they have at Best Buy for around the same price. This thing moves stuff around the house!!

You want a good reciever that has atleast 80 but 100 is obviously better. IF you do piece it together, make sure you get an excellent center channel speaker. Most of the sound during movies comes out of that speaker. If you hook up a cd player to it, then the 2 front speakers will play the most. Rears should also be matched, but my dad's aren't really but they sound ok. If you get a good reciever, you can mess with the settings til it's all even...some DVD's even have the test thing in the menu so you can hear each individual speaker to match them.

Piecing together is what I would do personally because why not spend a little bit more and get much better quality. That doesn't go for Bose ofcourse. Only like the lower brands you can get for $250 at Walmart and most of the packaged ones at Best Buy.

Anyone heard of Klipsch?? Some guy played them for me at a speaker shop...sounded really really good and crisp...they would be used for rears and can be found on e-bay for pretty fair prices.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help, I got it figured out...

with intense research and all your help. I ended up with Pioneer vsc D511 with Dolby Digital, DTS, Logic 2-5.1 sound alot of features and ease of set up and use rated at 100x5. Speakers Adcom, Polk cs175i center and powered KLH 10 in sub. Wired it all up with 16 gage did set up and connections to the Mitsi 50 HDTV and fired it up. Great sound! Better yet was the price, with smart shopping, looking for close outs I paid 420.00 list would have been 790.oo.

Thanks for the help,

AED V8sc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts