1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
longhaul 100K warranty is all i know

·
Jack of all trades, Master of none
600 Posts
I had a Kia sportage for many years. It was very cheaply built, interior pieces and stuff broke easily and so forth. The engine however, ran forever with no problems. My wife and I put over 100K miles on it and never had a major issue, just changed the oil, filters, and stuff and it was fine.
With that said, I would never buy another one!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
KIA = Killed In Action. Both made in Korea and some new models of Hundai are rated pretty good. Resale value on them seems to be bad. Parts for KIAs seen to be high, not sure if not much aftermarket available or what. My sister inlaw has a KIA Sedona = POS.

622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks.. i am asking for my dad. he is looking into buying a car for gas mileage that is relatively cheap. he was looking at kia, hyundai, and honda civic. i told him immediately that i would choose a honda over kia and hyundai. just thought i would check other peoples opinions, especially those who have experienced them.

thanks.

seth

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I really like my 97 Aspire.... So far no major problems, good gas mileage, "enough power" if you use the gear box (DO NOT GET an automatic!!), and an amazing amount of room for stuff if you put down (or remove) the rear seat.

I’m getting a solid 33 mpg cruising at 75 mph 80% of the time. The city driving really hurts the average (because I use the throttle like an on/off switch...) For what I need it for, it is working out very well. And they can be modified to run in the 12’s!!! You just have to remember that it is a VERY small/light car and has to be driven as such... i.e. don't try to pass trucks going up hill!! :beek:

The Ford Aspire was built by Kia, with a Mazda 1.3L engine (63 hp/75 ft. lbs. torque/2000 lb. curb weight). Very nice 97's are going for about $2000 (which is what I paid for mine) and they are readily available.

Parts can be a little expensive, but that will be the case with any foreign built car.

Just something to consider. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
bought my wife a cheby aveo for the same reason (cheap and good gas milage). car runs excellent (it should its new), and does get great milage. i drove it from nc to tx and it cost me $240 in gas round trip. the only complaint i have with the car is the interior plastic is really cheap and scratches up easily. but for 12k i cant complain.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hyundai and Kia are lawnmowers with four doors, and less reliable. Though they seem to be getting better as far as build quality in the past couple years, but the interiors are still very cheap material and things will break.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i know enough to stay away from them

·
Registered
406 Posts
Listen to you guys.

Objectively, the Hyundais from Y2K on up are good cars. A Sonata is a very nice car, and the Tiburon is about the best bang for the buck in its class. They're well engineered and affordable. Kias are not at the level Hyundai is, however the Sonata is one of the last ladder framed 2 speed transfer case micro utes left on the market.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Well Ive seen a few working in a shop over the summer. And yes, they are alot better than the days of the pony. But they are still built with cheap plastic that breaks very easily. And they have a very "cheap" feel to them. And as far as the tiburon :thumbsd:

Kia is no better, again yes, they are getting better but still cheap throw away cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What car isnt built cheaply? The cheaper it's built the more profit. I am not defending these vehicles, but I would much rather have a piece break in the inside than something major going wrong like some other makes.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
[email protected]=iii=<| said:
thanks.. i am asking for my dad. he is looking into buying a car for gas mileage that is relatively cheap. he was looking at kia, hyundai, and honda civic. i told him immediately that i would choose a honda over kia and hyundai. just thought i would check other peoples opinions, especially those who have experienced them.
Does he just want an import car or a new car? I bought both my daughters 2000 Buick Regal GSs. Good value and highly rated for reliability. 240 hp supercharged 3.8, 30 mpg, traction control, 4 wheel abs, leather seats, 4 door, alloy wheels, driver side air bag Nice cars and I bought the 2 of them for a total of 10k.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Kia's are so cheap, in the town next to me the have a buy on get one free Deal!

And for the record I love the looks of the Hyundai Tiburon and I don't know why, I almost bought one instead of my bird I had the choice between a new (2002)Tiburon, 99 Integera or a perfectly maintained 95 T-Bird LX. I obviously made the better choice, I could be a ricer right now if the V8 wouldn't have turned me on so much.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I dunno about Kias. My sister bought a 2005 Spectra brand new. It had 7000 miles on it when the engine just locked up a month ago. She drove it to the grocery store, parked, and when she came back in 10 minutes, the engine was seized. At least, that's what she told me. Regardless of how it happened, my sister definitely does not have a lead foot and the engine is most definitely FUBARed. It was covered under that warranty but I'd still stay away from them. You can get a nice used Focus or Civic or whatever for cheaper than a new Kia and I'd trust them a lot farther than some Korean POS anyway.

·
Registered
900 Posts
lol where i live if u buy a kia sedona, u get a kia rio free lol

and as far as hyundai they rnt that bad, one of my friends just bought an 06 tiburon, cheap, handles well, looks pretty good, and pretty fast for his 4cyl model, and up to this point nothing has broken

1 - 20 of 27 Posts