TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad is car shopping for a work car and was looking at a handful of 2010-2012 Altima's 4 had cvt 1 had an automatic. I know how they work in agriculture but was just curious about Nissan's product. He drives about 45miles of highway to work each way and to me the cvt would be an advantage for in town driving.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
David

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
They've been doing it for a while now. Seems like a decent transmission however CVT fluid is expensive to change as is recommended to be serviced every 30k-60k depending on driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have never heard anything bad about the Nissan CVTs. I would buy one of the new Altimas if I was in the market.

They have been around for a while. I have driven a few of them and it is a different feeling. You wonder when it is going to shift.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
I would avoid them. I have seen quite a few of them fail, including one customer who had it replaced under warranty due to a grinding noise, the remanufactured trans had the same issue, so he had it replaced again, and then about 2 years later when the car was out of warranty, it failed again.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes, I work at a dealer and we warranty one at least once a week it seems. They got bad enough that Nissan upped the warranty on them to 120K miles. Not just Altimas either, ALL of the CVT equipped vehicles. Not a good transmission from my experience.

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
cvt are junk. cant tell you how many i had to work on!!! EXPENSIVE
Yea, I was thinking the same thing. - Easier to replace than work on and major $$$$ either way ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts