TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody use steel wool for body work?

here is the deal. the clear coat was peeling on the top of the bird. i bought some dupli color clear coat in a rattle can last night. i washed the whole car and thought i had all the wax off of the top of the car. well, i was wrong. i sprayed the first coat last night and let it sit. then went back and the entire top of the car was white. so i got some green scratch pads and got the wax/clearcoat crap off, and was back to factory clear coat that has scratches in it now. the whole point of this was to stop the clear from peeling anymore until i get it painted sometime next year. well i took what was left after i washed and dried the car again and sprayed a coat on the top of the car. it looks 100 percent better than it did, but has some rough spots that need wet sanded down before i get more to do the second coat.

sooooo.........................do any of you think it is feasible to use steel wool pads with light pressure, or should i just get some 1200 grit and do it that way?

like i said, this is getting a paint job and some minor body work next year hopefully, so this is semi temporary.

jamie

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
I'd go with the 1200 grit.....steel wool pads don't sound to good for a paint job even if it is temporary. Just my .02 though

·
Registered
252 Posts
Uhh, steel wool should never be used on a car like that. I would het some 1500 and 1200 and wet sand it and then buff it out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, kind of figured that.....just was hoping to find a decent use for this stuff and since i had a project at hand, thought i would throw it out there. oh well, i guess it goes back in the cupboard.

Thanks,

Jamie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts