TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the old glass removed. Have to finish cleaning up the old urethane. This is the rearmost windshield.

What do I need to do to install the replacement? I have a used part going back in.

I've done a fair bit of research and don't think it'll be a major issue.

But there are a couple things I'm not clear on.

1) some places recommend the urethane AND a ribbon seal. I know of the urethane but have never seen the ribbon seal. It doesn't appear there was anything other than urethane in the OE installation..

2) urethane primer? I can find the urethane all day long but have never run into the primer before. Actually necessary?

Anything major I am missing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used the ribbin seal got it at the parts store (advanced) $15.00 a box took 2
then just put the window in place two people press around the edges firmly. Its been over a year no leaks.
good luck

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
whne you removed the old rear glass, did you take it out in 1 piece?
Or was it broke?
I would like to know if you was able to take it out intact too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought the car with a smashed out window.

i bought a replacement for $150 from a local yard.

after looking at the whole setup, i think it'd be pretty easy to get the glass out without damaging it.. with 2 people. Well, easy, but lots of work..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nobody has used the primer 3m recommends?

i got 2 rolls of the 3/8" ribbon sitting here.. the primer seems to be unavailable. We couldn't order it even.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
i bought the car with a smashed out window.

i bought a replacement for $150 from a local yard.

after looking at the whole setup, i think it'd be pretty easy to get the glass out without damaging it.. with 2 people. Well, easy, but lots of work..
thanks for the response.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
just be very careful when prying it out. one twist of the screwdriver is all it takes to turn that tempered glass into a pile of sand. there should be some youtubes on windshield removal

·
Registered
27 Posts
They make a special cord with teeth that cuts the old urethane out two person job. I used cheap guitar string. My window was bouncing in the frame only held in place at the bottom.
After the windows out you have to clean out the old urethane from the window and body. On the window a good razor knife works. On the body I used a wire wheel on the 4” grinder. Be careful here as not to mess up your paint. I wasn’t that lucky. I had to repaint the area with self-etching primer before continuing on. With the ribbon sealer you just roll it in the track, with the tube of urethane apply a bead ¼” should be fine, urethane will get mess fast be careful.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it's done. Was really simple.

Yea it's a little bit crooked but you can't tell with the trim back on!

I ended up using 1 box of the 3/8" ribbon and have 6" or so left over.

Really the hardest part was just putting the trim back on and leaving it alone! Really wanted to clean it up and repaint it all, but I just need to get this thing on the road for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts