1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,062 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if it'll sell well or not. So far it has been received well and received good reviews. Supposedly topped to the gills with every option is around $29000. In my opinion, it's easier to mod a car that already came boosted. I'm actually excited about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As far as making horsepower, the SVO's started with 175 to 210 hp stock. I know of several that are making well over 300hp. If you're into drag racing, check out Jon Huber's 79 Mustang. Probably makes around 800 hp, and has posted an 8 second quarter mile.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Not a bad read. And they're wrong. The Mustang has had an IRS in it's 50yr. history. I guess they forgot the 03+ Cobra's, 2000 Cobra R, etc...

It may take a year but I'd bet they will sell well, and if they sell good enough I could see it replacing the 3.7 6 option at some point.

I'll still get my 5.0 though. Don't care if it's boosted or not. Just can't get past the sound of the new 5.0 w/ good exhaust. They don't call it the "loud pedal" for no reason ;)

I'd rather have them put a decent 6-speed manual under it instead of the questionable Getrag MT82. Go back to Borg!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well considering stock it has more hp than our engines in pi form, and just 85 less than the supercharged dohc cobras, it's a bargin. 29k fully loaded then I'd assume starting price will be around 24-25k.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Nope. Can't afford one and I'm not particularly fond of the new look. Their trying way to hard to make the mustang something it's not.

The old SVOs came with 175hp and you can get 300 out of it? That's almost double! Could the stock internals handle that kind of power? Or is that fully built..

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
Meh. You know, I love the old SVOs as much as anyone but I always looked at them as an alternate universe Mustang rather than a real Mustang, a universe of which the next evolution would ultimately have been the Probe. I can't say I like that potential direction with the current one and if I were to shell out money for the ever more expensive Mustang, it certainly won't have the exhaust note of an Integra. Plus, It's going to weigh 1000lbs more than the original SVO.

Oh and Foxbody styling > S550 styling ;)
Not a bad read. And they're wrong. The Mustang has had an IRS in it's 50yr. history. I guess they forgot the 03+ Cobra's, 2000 Cobra R, etc...
99 and 01 Cobras too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the new look. In fact the only mustang I don't like the look of really is the Mustang ll. But considering iford touch , back up camera and irs are all standard I think it's sweet. But like anything else fan based you either love it or hate it madly.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I am curious about the 4cyl being the mid-level engine vs. the V6.
I know you can do some pretty amazing things with direct injection and turbos but will they be able to make a significant different in actual vehicle performance (not just numbers) over low end engine (300HP out of a 3.7L V6 is a pretty nice improvement over the 3.8L V6 that came with our tbirds).

I'm specifically interested in how much torque it develops and at what RPM as that would affect acceleration. After all, I think the average "sports" car driver expects to accelerate faster if they spend more money for a "higher performance engine."

As far as "room to grow" is concerned, I'm not as optimistic.
* I suspect that the 2.3L turbo fords of a generation ago made only 175HP because that was the most HP their manufacturing tolerances and tuning capabilities would allow without sacrificing reliability.
* Since they probably don't have the option of detuning the V6 below what it made in the previous gen mustang to increase the delta between the base V6 and the midlevel Ecoboost, I wonder if they will decide the push the envelope more on the Ecoboost engine to widen the gap (and therefore justify the price premium). This means that for the aftermarket, there might be less tunability left on the table (aka turn up the boost with the stock turbo, fueling system, etc and sacrifice fuel economy+reliability for more powah).

While I'm not very likely to be a mustang buyer for this generation in the near future (my DDs are always econoboxes given my commute), I do get them as rental cars when I travel. I really do home this next gens interior improves over the last one.
-g

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am curious about the 4cyl being the mid-level engine vs. the V6.
I know you can do some pretty amazing things with direct injection and turbos but will they be able to make a significant different in actual vehicle performance (not just numbers) over low end engine (300HP out of a 3.7L V6 is a pretty nice improvement over the 3.8L V6 that came with our tbirds).

I'm specifically interested in how much torque it develops and at what RPM as that would affect acceleration. After all, I think the average "sports" car driver expects to accelerate faster if they spend more money for a "higher performance engine."

As far as "room to grow" is concerned, I'm not as optimistic.
* I suspect that the 2.3L turbo fords of a generation ago made only 175HP because that was the most HP their manufacturing tolerances and tuning capabilities would allow without sacrificing reliability.
* Since they probably don't have the option of detuning the V6 below what it made in the previous gen mustang to increase the delta between the base V6 and the midlevel Ecoboost, I wonder if they will decide the push the envelope more on the Ecoboost engine to widen the gap (and therefore justify the price premium). This means that for the aftermarket, there might be less tunability left on the table (aka turn up the boost with the stock turbo, fueling system, etc and sacrifice fuel economy+reliability for more powah).

While I'm not very likely to be a mustang buyer for this generation in the near future (my DDs are always econoboxes given my commute), I do get them as rental cars when I travel. I really do home this next gens interior improves over the last one.
-g
They claim it has 305 torque but I'm not sure they say at what rpm. They also say it's an economic minded turbo so it's smaller. So bigger turbo, intercooler, larger pipjng, external waste gate ect.. you know...the works. Typical upgrades to already boosted cars. Look at the number the tuner guys are getting out of the 4 cylinder subarus

·
Super Moderator
9,298 Posts
They claim it has 305 torque but I'm not sure they say at what rpm. They also say it's an economic minded turbo so it's smaller. So bigger turbo, intercooler, larger pipjng, external waste gate ect.. you know...the works. Typical upgrades to already boosted cars. Look at the number the tuner guys are getting out of the 4 cylinder subarus
Yeah, but you gotta rev it to the moon to get there, and it sounds... like... craaaapppp... :rofl:

I just can't do four bangers in anything I would drive for fun. A grocery getter or commuter, sure, but there's no way a 4 banger will replace a V8 for me.

I think the target market segment here is for the folks who want the good MPG a small 4 banger gives but not the lazy drive.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Yeah, but you gotta rev it to the moon to get there, and it sounds... like... craaaapppp... :rofl:

I just can't do four bangers in anything I would drive for fun. A grocery getter or commuter, sure, but there's no way a 4 banger will replace a V8 for me.

I think the target market segment here is for the folks who want the good MPG a small 4 banger gives but not the lazy drive.
Have you ever driven a well balanced car on a road course or is it all about 1/4 mile (grand prix du stoplight) for you?

Weight does seriously affect handling and while i would never drive one on the street, a Miata is quite a fun car to drive on the track. You can literally fling it into corners and have a blast in such a way that a heavier car (like one with a V8) cannot match.

As for sounding like crap, well, to each their own. I've heard some simply awful larger displacement cars on the track as well as some glorious sounding ones. I will admit that most coffee can exhaust modded 4cyls sound pretty bad but when done well (esp with a turbo whine), they can be aurally pleasing as well.

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
It's a lot cheaper and a lot more accessible to go to a dragstrip or accelerate from stoplights than it is to go to a road course. Handling is great but a 3800lb 4 cylinder mustang isn't going to be THAT much better than a 3900lb Coyote Mustang through the corners, and the 99.999% of the time you aren't at an expensive far away road course you'll have much more fun with the V8.

As far as sound, I like electric guitars more than Tubas. My preference for V8s vs. I4s is the same :D Personally I hate the sound of turbo and blower whine, doesn't matter how many cylinders.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'd rather have a boosted 4 banger than a V-6 (inline would be something different though). Espically since the Ecoboost can run on 87 octane. Will it sale probably not well look at the SC (fastest MN-12 but the ignorant masses demanded a slower and less efficient V8).

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
It's a lot cheaper and a lot more accessible to go to a dragstrip or accelerate from stoplights than it is to go to a road course. Handling is great but a 3800lb 4 cylinder mustang isn't going to be THAT much better than a 3900lb Coyote Mustang through the corners, and the 99.999% of the time you aren't at an expensive far away road course you'll have much more fun with the V8.

As far as sound, I like electric guitars more than Tubas. My preference for V8s vs. I4s is the same :D Personally I hate the sound of turbo and blower whine, doesn't matter how many cylinders.
Dragstrips vs. road courses: For most places in america, I concede that point.

However, you could argue that a better handling car can offer more legal fun on the road (esp if you live in an area with twisty roads) than a high HP car that will just get you from 0MPH-extralegal speeds that much faster (as even an anemic car like a Prius will exceed the speed limit -- eventually).

As far as a Mustang is concerned, well, I agree that it's a pig so 100-200Lbs isn't going to matter in the handling dept.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figured this site would be more accepting because of the turbo coupe. Don't get me wrong. I'd rather have the v8. I just though the 4 banger was cool. I can say though, I really don't quit understand the I4 hate. The miata is one of the most raced cars in the world. And dang good at it too. As well as the Honda S2000, and if you want to consider flat 4's then the you can't deny the achievements of the Subarus and the new brz's and frs's. These cars pull numbers that mustangs don't pull on the track. Not drag strip always. However I believe that all new cars are overpriced.

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
I agree with that, but there's a lot of places that twisty roads are few and far between as well, depending on region. Here for the most part the twistiest roads are in suburban subdivisions where spirited driving is downright reckless unless some sort of zombie apocalypse gets those pesky kids out of the way :tongue: That largely just leaves highway and boulevards for spirited driving and that means mashing the go pedal and rowing through the gears.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts