TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on the SC I bought. I haven’t looked close enough yet to see if it’s bolted on or welded. I’m also going to have to find a new bumper. I don’t know why anyone would do this.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Im trying to find one to attach a tow strap to, since I need one for the class Im building my car for.

If youre close to NJ, and its bolted, Ill buy it off you.

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
There's not a lot to attach it to. I'd bribe someone with a truck.
Post up a pic of what it's bolted to; there's nothing there thicker than 2 pieces of thin sheetmetal.

·
The Parts Guy
7,913 Posts
I've removed a few off the parts cars I've had over the years. They just bolt onto the rear unibody "frame rails". They used to be an easy sell when parting out a car.

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
Having beaten out Lazarus' pass quarter into a sermblance of its former self, I saw how thin that all is.
I would not pull anything too heavy, it's bolted to Two thin pieces of sheetmetal. Calling that a frame disrespects all the cars that actually Have a frame. :)
Our unibody is more like a steel eggshell, lol.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Again, Im looking for one for a tow strap. Cause I feel having it centered and the weight distributed across a wider area, should the car need to be towed out of a ditch, is better than a bolt and washer through a rotted bumper bar.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I bought my 89 SC 5 speed it had a tow hitch...the guy towed a jet ski with it. I took it off asap lol

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have one on my SC. The receiver slides in vertically so it is hidden when not in use. I use it as a jacking rail now.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im trying to find one to attach a tow strap to, since I need one for the class Im building my car for.

If youre close to NJ, and its bolted, Ill buy it off you.
I’m in South Carolina.

I just checked. It’s welded on. I’ll get under there with a grinder at some point.

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
If you tow anything heavy, you had best invest time in making sure it's balanced well, the metal there is strong, but not 2000 pounds strong. (pontoon boat from hell story on a 78 montecarlo that belonged to a friend.. involved a hitch held on by straps like hose clamps, to the axles.)

It would comfortably hold a fueled dirt bike on that hitch, but I could be wrong. It depends on the welds.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no intentions of towing anything with this car. Unless I get a jetski.

Reactions: NeedAbirdinVA

·
Registered
125 Posts
My '97 Sport has a tow hitch installed by the previous owners. They were retired & grandparents who used the car for the wife's post-retirement keep-busy volunteer job...and occasionally towing their small boat to the lake with the grandchildren. I don't know anything about towing, but I pulled out the arm & silver ball part and left whatever it's called attached to the frame of the car, in case I ever want to tow something. It's buried deep enough to not be visible, unless you're really short and look really hard.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
This is a controversial subject. I have a bolted one on my LX and have a 94 SC Bumper I have intended to put on my car when I get it painted. I have towed many things over the years. My boat was the heaviest. Do a search in General Tech
Towing with an MN12
I intend to cover it up when I put the SC cover on. I have a Ford Expedition now as my Tow Vehicle.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,356 Posts
I towed my 95 on a trailer with my 96 trying to be cute.
The problem was braking and steering.
These heaps were not made to tow over the hitches rating, (3500 lbs).

I tried that because a guy towed his 69 firebird drag car with his 69 firebird convertible.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got a chance to get under the car and cut the hitch off. Now I’m left with this unsightly hole to deal with. Just another item on a long list of stuff to fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts