TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done it in the past on stainless and aluminum. But everything I do now at work and at home is Mig'd.

I've been trying to talk my boss into purchasing a nice Tig setup for about 5 years now. ;)
Cool, I been practicing a lot on stainless to get my mandrel bent exhaust in place. Definitely tedious, but good practice. I bought a MIG earlier this year, but it has ended up as a glorified tack-welder, lol. That's pretty much all I use it for right now. I'll probably use it more when I have time to make a barbecue grill smoker.

Right now I'm gonna order up a certain TIG filler rod that I can't get locally to do some 4130 chromoly up, and test the welds with mild steel filler rod and this other one as well to see if there is any difference in weld quality/strength.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I will be doing quite a bit of weld training in the next couple years with my new career as a SteamFitter. MIG, TIG, Arc and Oxy-acetylene. Going to be fun. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I dibble dabble. Made a fuel tank sump, an aluminum fuel surge tank out of a CO2 bottle, some various brackets and such. I got the eastwood TIG 200. Works good took a while to do the surge tank cause the aluminum was at least a quarter inch thick.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I Tig weld when necessary otherwise I Mig weld almost everything that requires me to weld. Since I do said work on customers cars I'd say semi-professional level. My welds don't look bad, but since I don't do exhaust or welding specifically for a living so I won't say pro, but my welds aren't during my spare time so I won't say hobbyist either. Clear as mud I'm sure.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I dibble dabble. Made a fuel tank sump, an aluminum fuel surge tank out of a CO2 bottle, some various brackets and such. I got the eastwood TIG 200. Works good took a while to do the surge tank cause the aluminum was at least a quarter inch thick.
I have the same machine. Although, I'm outgrowing it and need more arc control, mainly because of some smaller intricate pieces that I will soon be needing to TIG. I'm looking at the HTP Invertig221 w/ water cooler. My dream TIG would of course be a Miller Dynasty 350DX of course, but at $8000+ for the full kit, it's a bit out of my reach at the moment, lol.

I do some at work ss,alum and some steel, no formal training though
Same here, just self taught; but only for hobby in the sense that I pretty much only weld for myself.

I will be doing quite a bit of weld training in the next couple years with my new career as a SteamFitter. MIG, TIG, Arc and Oxy-acetylene. Going to be fun. :rolleyes:
That would be fun. I'd love to have formal training in all that stuff.

I Tig weld when necessary otherwise I Mig weld almost everything that requires me to weld. Since I do said work on customers cars I'd say semi-professional level. My welds don't look bad, but since I don't do exhaust or welding specifically for a living so I won't say pro, but my welds aren't during my spare time so I won't say hobbyist either. Clear as mud I'm sure.
Yea I see what you mean. Pretty much pro if you've been doing it for a while and getting paid for it in one form or another.

Anyone hold welding certifications?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I love using silicon bronze rods I buy them on weldingsupply.com nobody local carries them.
Great for stainless or anything you don't want to heat up a ton and warp. Try it it flows awesome on thin materials. I don't know if I'd use it on exhaust it may melt at too low of a temp for anything close to the front.
Alan

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Iv been mig welding at home for a little while, took two stick welding classes and going back in oct for tig welding I'm very excited,

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love using silicon bronze rods I buy them on weldingsupply.com nobody local carries them.
Great for stainless or anything you don't want to heat up a ton and warp. Try it it flows awesome on thin materials. I don't know if I'd use it on exhaust it may melt at too low of a temp for anything close to the front.
Alan
Yea I took your advice long ago and bought some. I used SilBr on the oil pan modification, but in retrospect I should have used the 0.035" or the 0.045" instead of the 1/16" rods on 1/16" sheetmetal, but oh well, it came out alright and seals which is all that matters. I hadn't tried it on stainless, but I'll be sure to try it just for the heck of it. I could have probably used it on the fuel hat mod.

Iv been mig welding at home for a little while, took two stick welding classes and going back in oct for tig welding I'm very excited,
sounds good. I want to do the same to pick the instructor's brain. I'm sure I can learn many things.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes I like silicone bronze for coolant crossover tube mods on the 4v's.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Yea I took your advice long ago and bought some. I used SilBr on the oil pan modification, but in retrospect I should have used the 0.035" or the 0.045" instead of the 1/16" rods on 1/16" sheetmetal, but oh well, it came out alright and seals which is all that matters. I hadn't tried it on stainless, but I'll be sure to try it just for the heck of it. I could have probably used it on the fuel hat mod.

sounds good. I want to do the same to pick the instructor's brain. I'm sure I can learn many things.

I bought an entire roll of .022 thinking I could wire feed it, the plan didn't pan out with my 110 machine maybe on a larger machine it would work, not enough heat to make it flow fast enough on a small machine. Live and learn I suppose.
Alan

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know how to TIG weld regular steel (er-70s,er-90b3 and b9) s.s.(305,316,410) inconel,titanium,aluminum,aluminum-bronze etc. Same as MIG but depend in the welding procedure but I prefer TIG more clean and more pretty.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I know how to TIG weld regular steel (er-70s,er-90b3 and b9) s.s.(305,316,410) inconel,titanium,aluminum,aluminum-bronze etc. Same as MIG but depend in the welding procedure but I prefer TIG more clean and more pretty.
To weld some of that stuff, you likely hold certifications then, huh?

Never heard of 305 SS, only 304 and the other ones you mentioned. Got any pics of your actual Inconel or titanium welds?

I bought an entire roll of .022 thinking I could wire feed it, the plan didn't pan out with my 110 machine maybe on a larger machine it would work, not enough heat to make it flow fast enough on a small machine. Live and learn I suppose.
Alan
You can always cut off portions at a time to tig with it. That's what I did with a 2lbs spool of 0.045" mild steel might wire, until I found that I could just order it in straight cut lengths from welding supply.com, lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have current all position structural MIG tickets, and next year I'll be learning TIG to get my pressure B ticket as part of my pipe fitter apprenticeship.

Mostly at work we weld 316 SS and 2205 Duplex Stainless pipe with the TIG and carbon steel with the stick, and since I'm low on the totem pole I get to make pipe stands and hangers and supports with the MIG.

All our MIG and TIG boxes are Miller, and the generator boxes are all Lincoln brand.

The guy who I had ready to TIG up a tru bendz exhaust for me for 3 cases of beer just quit and went on to greener pastures, so I suppose I'll have to buddy up with one of the other pressure B guys, lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have current all position structural MIG tickets, and next year I'll be learning TIG to get my pressure B ticket as part of my pipe fitter apprenticeship.

Mostly at work we weld 316 SS and 2205 Duplex Stainless pipe with the TIG and carbon steel with the stick, and since I'm low on the totem pole I get to make pipe stands and hangers and supports with the MIG.

All our MIG and TIG boxes are Miller, and the generator boxes are all Lincoln brand.

The guy who I had ready to TIG up a tru bendz exhaust for me for 3 cases of beer just quit and went on to greener pastures, so I suppose I'll have to buddy up with one of the other pressure B guys, lol.
Pretty cool. Are you on WeldingWeb.com?

I wish I had Miller stuff. I drool over the DynastyDX TIG welders the way a 15yr old kid drool over a playboy magazine lol.

I'm trying to practice as much as I can on these 304SS pieces, since the learning curve is definitely steeper than regular old mild steel. I'm getting there, a week at a time. The fact that they're small diameter tuning makes it that much tougher than other joint types.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a Lincoln Electric SP-100T MIG welder that I bought in 2006 to repair the sheetmetal on my Torino.

The door jamb section was the piece I popped my cherry on.

I made a template out of poster paper to learn how the complex curves would behave on the piece. Then I made a metal buck from the patterns to shape the sheet metal.

It took me about a year of weekend self-training sessions starting with the flux core before I added the CO2/Argon gas bottle. I didn't realize until I was almost done with the jamb section that I was still using flux core nozzle.:facepalm:

Up until that point, I had wondered why the factory recommendations never worked. The wrong nozzle was the reason. :)

I really wanted to get that Eastwood TIG/Plasma cutter combo last year but didn't have the coinage.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts