1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,184 Posts
Or time. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
Every now and then. Usually comes from either lack of funds unable to quickly finance BIG plans I have for it in my head, causing the ideas to go stale, or going through with big projects and being more enthusiastic about the build than the result. Good news luckly, I've come to the realization that this would occur with ANY project car I'd alternatively own(there's no car I'd own I wouldn't tinker with) so I may as well stick with it.

That and the growing scarcity of the platform and ever more "nostalgic" styling is actually a whole new front for the appeal of these cars to me. When I first started my goal was to try and keep it as modern and up to date with current cars as I could, now I just care about keeping it nice and making it appeal to me. I stopped caring about it being the fastest Cougar on the block a long time ago, there's far more to a car than speed. Plus the hooptie status MN12s are rapidly disappearing from the roads so the nice ones are being more and more recognized by people as the cool cars they were.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I find cold weather particularly de-motivating when I have a project to work on. I can generate some body heat by shoveling snow, but wrenching in an unheated garage is like sticking my fingers in ice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Too many projects and no money. I'm just trying to keep my Cougar really nice for now. Also compared to my other cars it really isn't the easiest car to make faster. There isn't a thing on my Volvo I haven't messed with, my 5.0 Notchback has seen a a lot of work, as has my 66 Lemans but this Cougar makes my head hurt. Most of what I can do , PI head swap, explorer swap or dohc swap don't seem worth it. Maybe some boost on a DOHC with worked heads but then I would blow everything else up and where would the turbos go? I have been down that road before. It makes feel like an old man just thinking about it... GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HA nice! Money is a big part I guess. I lost my drive after my 95 was totaled. I had 4000 bucks in that thing. It felt like wasted time and money.

·
Super Moderator
11,921 Posts
I'm not so happy with mine right now. The fuel pump took a crap only 21 months after it was installed. :mad:

Rob and I are currently discussing potential causes and future options.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Honestly, ever since the body swap I haven't had the same feelings for it. No real reason either. I've also accumulated lots of cool upgrades and haven't bothered installing them. Also spending too much money on my K2500 and F-150.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Going on 8 years with my Mark viii and I find myself losing motivation/interest multiple times a years. Repairs could be slowly creeping up and I just want to say F it, or during the winter when it's not looking the best and makes noises that she doesn't normally make. But once I fix/mod something or spring cleaning roles around is when that love sparks back up again, it's an never ending cycle it seems.

At 160k she still looks darn good, the interior is spectacular for the mileage, all the little do-dads inside and out still work which has kept me from getting rid of it. Repairs/Maint avg remains under $400/yr which has helped greatly, once it starts to be one thing after another or the engine pops is when I'll have to part with it. I could easily afford a newer car but just have this weird relationship with this one.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Anyone else lose motivation on their car?

No.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After some thought, it started 8 years ago in September. My 95 had been totaled out by insurance. I had a part out party, during that party my new born daughter was in the hospital. About 2 hours into the party, the Doc called and my family and I had to rush up there. Nothing more was done on the car. Then 4 days later my wife had a aneurysm and was in the ICU. I sold the car to a junk yard and stopped all interest in cars all together. The actions of guys on here with fixing my new t-bird kindled my interest in these cars, thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Fixing up Earls old 95 has been rekindling the flames for my interest in my white 96.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I've been hanging out less and less with the old high school car guys. Almost graduating college now and spending more time with other engineers and spend my free time looking a new bar or adventure or place for a vacation. The suspension and maintenance are wearing thin on me.. Like doing front end links and tie rod ends tonight.. But eventually I'll get these new bullitts on. She will stay for a while even if she is a royal pain in the arse. I might have to get a better daily soon if she keeps acting up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't think I will ever think I will lose interest in my car because my dad and my uncle owned my car before I did, so I will do the best I can to keep it going. There's still a lot of things I don't know how to work on so I need to find someone to help me out. But I do fix the things I can work on.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
funderbird said:
Anyone else lose motivation on their car?
No..

I've set a few goals with my Thunderbird, and even though I have little time to meet these goals..They will eventually be met.. :)

Then I can place the bar even higher.. :D

When you're put in a position where you're not able to afford to modify your car it really sucks, and I can see how that could make you lose motivation..

Even if you can afford to modify your car the way you want..You could just be lazy, and that's another contributing factor to lose motivation on your car..

You know those guys that have little motivation to want to do anything themselves to their car..

Then they turn around, and buy a new car with all the bells and whistles already installed..

What's the fun in that?

I like the challenge of making my car unique, and what I want it to be..

With that thought in mind I doubt I'll ever lose motivation to want to work on my car..
:thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I haven't done much to mine lately just due to the sheer lack of funds. The head swap and torque converter did me in. I have not had to put much in it in terms of maintenance, fortunately. I do plan to do more to it, but I have to get other things in my life straight first. Actually starting a career would be a good start. My poor Mustang still sits in the garage, relatively speaking, neglected. I kinda want to part with it, but can't bring my self to do it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After some thought, it started 8 years ago in September. My 95 had been totaled out by insurance. I had a part out party, during that party my new born daughter was in the hospital. About 2 hours into the party, the Doc called and my family and I had to rush up there. Nothing more was done on the car. Then 4 days later my wife had a aneurysm and was in the ICU. I sold the car to a junk yard and stopped all interest in cars all together. The actions of guys on here with fixing my new t-bird kindled my interest in these cars, thanks guys.
I think most people would lose motivation in the face of life / death priorites.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts