TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i found out that i was accepted on my college's ASME team and i was wondering what it was like and stuff at the competitions. For those of you who do not know ASME stands for American Society of Mechanical Engineers (even though i am in electrical engineering but hey). We are going to build a mini baja off road vehicle and a formula racer for the competition. I know some of you guys had to have been in one of these things. Anyways, i met the guys today and it is going to be pretty cool. I will post some pics of the cars from last year that are in the shop.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah they told me the competition was in FL last year. Thats cool man, did your school compete? I am really excited. I just got back from the ENGR/Tech building parking lot where they played around in the formula car a little. Tha little thing is awesome!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm on the formula car team at MSU, Mankato. in fact i am in charge of the brakes and the suspension on this beast :D. but, i am a member of SAE instead since i am in automotive engineering technology.

Wiz

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome, so i may see you at the competition this year then! yeah we are going to gave to rebuild ours because it weighs WAY too much...like over 600 lbs i think. I hope i get put on the engine or electrics cause thats what i like. Hopefully i will see you then!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I remember correctly, for the mini-baja.. you would be best served by getting the biggest tires you can with low air pressure. Although you'll need a bigger enginer to turn the increaed rotating mass, the large diameter tires with the low air pressure will help absorb alot of the shock from the bumbs and rocks and such which means your suspension won't have to work as hard.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Actually, mini baja and the formula car are SAE things, not ASME.

We do mini baja here, the competitions are a blast, there are over 100 cars at all the competitions we have been too. You learn a lot designing and building a car and then also talking to the other teams at competition.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I plan to join my school's team (UCF) in the spring if my shedule goes according to plan....

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm a SME senior member...Alabama chapter 330. We get together once a month and tour manufacturing facilities, mostly locally, but we have been known to drive a couple of hours. I don't know how much different the professionals are versus the student organizations. It's a good thing to get involved in.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Mini Baja and Formula Car competitions are both SAE sponsored events. You must be an SAE member to participate, not ASME. I have been involved with both, though mainly with the Mini Baja. I worked on that for 5 years, and in fact I have this:

in my shed right now. It needs some work, but hopefully after I finish repairing my house I can get to work on it. I need to get machine shop access again though. Being involved with any of the SAE student competitions will be one of the greatest learning experiences you will have while you are in school. Get involved if you can.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts