TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

I am about to in the next week or so, change out my pump and hanger assembly in my 94 Tbird 4.6 LX. I have done this job to otherTbirds I have had in the past, so I know the exhaust, driveshaft, etc. need to be removed to drop it out.

My question is, has anyone ever created an access from the rear floor in the back seat area like alot of newer cars have, to the gas pump assembly? I was just wondering just in the case I have to do this again in the future for a bigger pump or whatever.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,948 Posts
People have done it, search around I'm sure you'll find info.

Joe

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Everyone!

I am about to in the next week or so, change out my pump and hanger assembly in my 94 Tbird 4.6 LX. I have done this job to otherTbirds I have had in the past, so I know the exhaust, driveshaft, etc. need to be removed to drop it out.

My question is, has anyone ever created an access from the rear floor in the back seat area like alot of newer cars have, to the gas pump assembly? I was just wondering just in the case I have to do this again in the future for a bigger pump or whatever.

Thanks!
My bad, you don't have to drop the driveshaft. You have to drop the tank to get to the driveshaft. Sorry...

·
The Parts Guy
7,913 Posts
It works out very well. Of course, everyone has their own opinions.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,812 Posts
The first time I cut the access hole in one of these was on the FIL's parked, being-parted-out 97 sport.

The only time I did it to a running, driving vehicle, I did it on my old 96 Mark when the factory fuel pump died on it less than a year after I got it. I chose to do so because it had a nearly full tank and the equipment I had didn't allow me to drain it enough to be able to drop it.

After the fact, no gas fumes, obvious additional noise, body flex or cracks were observed on an already tired (200k+) chassis. When it got badly rear-ended causing a premature death sentence, the back seat held up just fine despite the trunk and rear quarters being completely ruined by the hit.

My assessment is there's no harm doing it on a "normally" driven vehicle. If you were driving it hard or racing it, that I would consider more carefully.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,422 Posts
Gas fumes wouldn’t concern me with a solidly done cover for it like Rod used, and even without if the hat seal and lines are all fresh and secured there shouldn’t be gas fumes anyway. For me it’s purely structural, surviving a rear end collision doesn’t prove anything, it’s a side impact scenario is what would potentially tell a different tale, and if the car has rotten/rotting rocker panels think of where the structural load is, the tunnel of the front floor and that portion of rear floor pan essentially make up a T shaped frame tieing the front half of the car to the rear half, Cutting a 5” hole in the strongest part of the metal seems like a gaping compromise in the structure to me.

Keep in mind as well one of the many reasons these cars were cancelled were tightening side impact standards, and if you look at an example of a car on an older but updated chassis like the Fox to SN95 that was preemptively designed meet them that very rear floor pan/seat riser area was the key spot for reenforcement. That area in these is probably fairly weak to begin with.

Not going to tell anyone what to do with their car, but just think about it further beyond the likely one-time convenience you’ll ever have to access it.

·
Registered
1996 Mercury Cougar XR-7
5 Posts
We cut the floor on our LeMons race car so we could access the pump quickly at the track if needed. We then covered it back up with a sheet aluminum panel sealed and pop riveted in place.
If the panel needs to be removed we have a very short drill bit to remove the pop rivets without drilling into the tank.
So far we haven't seen any structural issues resulting from this access. Keep in mind we are also running a full cage in the car that provides some additional support to this area.

·
The Parts Guy
7,913 Posts
Where did you get the threaded inserts? That makes for a very tidy and easy removal. :) Thanks for the pics!
Thanks. They're nutserts. All shapes and sizes are available through Amazon, McMaster-Carr, Grainger, eBay, etc. They are very handy for creating tapped holes in sheetmetal.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I like the access panel idea that Rod did with the nutserts! Will probably being doing that just for ease of access. Eventuality going to have to replace the pump on the Cougar one day, just a matter of time. Might do it as preventative maintenance just to be safe.
If I had an all factory garage queen, I would for sure be dropping the tank properly to keep it all original. But honestly the amount of changes I have done already it's not really a concern anymore... lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Everyone!

Thanks!
NO, unless you want to hack up the inside of your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts